This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Spring quarter is here and that means everyone has emerged from inside their homes, parties move from basements to frat boys’ front lawns, and students become antsy to get out and do things on the weekend beside hitting the library. During my first spring quarter at Santa Clara, I was lucky enough to be taken under the careful wing of California natives who showed me all that the Bay Area has to offer during arguably the best quarter of the year. So, for all y’all out of state students, here are some things you can do this spring.

Shoreline Amphitheater

Though it’s known for its country concerts, Shoreline offers an awesome outdoor venue to see some of the best artists that roll through Mountain View. Up this month? Lady Antebellum.

Stanford Dish Hike

The dish is a super easy “hike” that has neat views of Stanford University and Palo Alto. It’s pretty short and definitely won’t leave you sore the next morning.

Santa Cruz

You can’t go wrong with a trip to the beach. You can spend the day at the beach, explore the boardwalk, or check out the town. Pro-tip: there’s a store that has a ton of socks and they’re awesome.

Big Sur/Bixby Bridge

If you’ve seen someone Instagram a bridge that isn’t the good old Golden Gate, it was probably Bixby. If you’re looking to let your friends know you had a good weekend of exploring, take a photo here.

Monterey Bay Aquarium

This year has been a year of rain, and if it starts up again you should definitely head over to Monterey to check out the fish. Don’t pretend like you’re not into this idea or that you’re too cool to look at an octopus. You’re never too cool to see marine life.

Mission Gardens

No money in the bank? Can’t find a car? Get a towel or blanket and some snacks and spend the day outside on campus. Mission gardens is without a doubt the best spot to hammock, take a nap, read books, or maybe get your homework done. Maybe.

Pugs in the Park

Every first Sunday of the month in San Francisco, there is a meetup of pugs. No, this is not a dream. The gathering of pugs happens in Alta Plaza Park and has pretty rad views of Alcatraz and the city. Not to mention, a heck of a lot of pugs. Bonus points if you find the one wearing a GoPro on its back.

Riley is a junior at Santa Clara University majoring in English and minoring in French and Francophone Studies. Though she studies two beautiful languages with rich vocabularies, she is often heard tossing around eloquent words and phrases such as, "cool dude," or "rad." If you have a dog, she'll ask to pet it.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.