This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Siblings; can’t live with ‘em, can’t live without ‘em.

Fraher Five takes African Safari circa early 2000s.

Meet Megan Fraher (shown above in that dashing pink camo). She is a senior at Santa Clara University. Megan is smack dab in the middle of Fraher Five (think Maroon five, sans Adam Levine and band). She has two older brothers and two younger brothers. Conor, the eldest of the clan, graduated from SCU in 2013. Sean graduated from SCU in 2014. Ryan is a current sophomore at SCU. And Kevin is a senior in high school. Their parents, Marianne and Dennis Fraher, both attended SCU back in the 80s as well. Needless to say, the Fraher’s bleed Bronco blood.

From left to right: Conor, Dad, Mom, Meg, Sean, Ryan, Kevin

“Santa Clara has been a school and a place I’ve heard of since I can remember. Both my parents went here as well as a few of my uncles, my aunt, and my grandpa. My two older brothers also graduated from here so it was a school I have always looked and been interested in because I trusted the love the rest of my family had for the university. I definitely made the right decision in following in their footsteps,” says Megan.

Conor and Sean were both here at SCU to pave the way for Megan during her freshman and sophomore years. While she was sad to see them go, she loved to watch them leave. Furthermore, Ryan began at SCU last year, when Megan was a junior.

“It’s very different having a younger sibling here now. I used to be the one getting advice, and now I’m giving it,” comments Megan about filling the shoes of big Fraher on campus.

Ryan loves being at school with his big sis. He describes the experience with a smile on his face, as he boasts, “Well to start off, my sister grew up with four boys in our family and was smack in the middle. She’s used to shenanigans. However, it is always fun seeing her around and having her grill me on foolish things I’ve done. She’s definitely always giving me good advice and telling the do’s and don’ts of college. And it’s always a good time when Megan is dancing.”

Meg and Ryan in China.

As for advice, Megan really encourages Ryan to study abroad during his college years. In the fall of 2014, Megan studied in Florence and had an incredible experience.

Meg in Tuscany

“Italy, more like Eataly,” remarks Megan, reminiscing on her Italian lifestyle. She utilized and expanded both her culinary and artistic skills as she took cooking and art classes all the while exploring the beautiful city. She hopes Ryan will have similar opportunities, as traveling is something the Fraher fam loves.

“I’ve been fortunate to travel to 6 continents with my whole family, not yet Antarctica. The African safari was by the best vacation and a wild adventure!” says Ryan.

Now for a little Q & A with Ryan:

Q: What is your major?

A: Marketing

Q: Where do you live? How would you describe your living situation in 5 words or less?

A: Gourd House. Triple, good times, fun people

Q: Celeb crush?

A: Alana Blanchard

Q: Your favorite memory at SCU this far?

A: During my freshman year, about 10 of us went to Big Sur. The campsite didn’t require a reservation and was a free for all. We luckily found a pristine beach and spent the day playing spike-ball and hanging out on a large rock that we all stood on while waves splashed up against the rock.

Q: What do you hope to accomplish in the next 5 years of your life?

A: In the next 5 years of my life I’d enjoy traveling with friends and obtaining a fun and creative job that keeps me motivated.

Q: Extracurricular/how are you involved in SCU community?

A: I am involved in the SCU community by playing club volleyball, intramurals, working for the Alumni office, and attending ski and snowboard trips.

Q: If you could have a dinner with 3 people (dead or alive) who would it be, where in the world would you go and what would you eat?

A: If I could have dinner with 3 people (dead or alive) it would be Albert Einstein, Shaun White, and Malcolm X on a random island in Tahiti while eating freshly caught fish.

Q: Any words you live by?

A: “Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny”. –Unknown

So there you have it… A true testament to the community that is Santa Clara University. And an epic tale of the Fraher’s legacy at SCU. 

Life enthusiast, with an undying thirst for passion and anything delicious. Currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in Communications at Santa Clara University. Born and raised in the beautiful beach town of Encinitas, located in San Diego, California.
Victoria is a senior at Santa Clara University and is a History and Spanish double major with double minors in Political Science and Anthropology. A native Los Angelino, she's a huge Kings & Dodgers fan & will defend her favorite teams fiercely. Lover of Netflix, popcorn, & mint moose tracks ice cream. You can basically count on finding her snacking, binge-watching Game of Thrones, or in the library (sometimes all three at the same time).