Election Day: Get Informed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

For most of us, this will be our first opportunity to voice our opinion in a presidential election. This election provides not only a milestone in our lives, but also a potentially large transition depending on its outcome.

Voting is something we should be excited about. It’s our chance to participate in decision-making, our chance to have a say in how the country is run. Sadly, voter turnout in the United States has declined. Back in 1896, nearly 79% of all eligible voters cast a ballot. In 1996, it was barely 48%. Despite all this, there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Since 2000, voter turnout has been on the rise. It’s up to us to keep this trend going. Voting is more than just a privilege. It’s our duty as American citizens to make a responsible and educated choice about who will be the leader of our nation.

The first step in preparing yourself for Election Day on November 6th is registering to vote. The California deadline is Oct 22nd. Registering only takes about 90 seconds and can be done quickly and easily at gottaregister.com. They will check on your registration status, or let you update it if it’s lapsed. There is also an option to receive a mail in ballot to your home in order to avoid waiting in line for the polls. Absentee ballots can also be useful for college students choosing to vote in their home state. Make sure that the information is accurate, or the form won’t be valid.

Now that you’ve registered to vote, the next thing to do is decide who to vote for. Obviously, the Presidential election is the biggest and most critical, but the house and senate races also have a great impact on the future of our country. It’s important not to get caught up in Obama v. Romney, and forget how much the elections for senators, congressmen, and even judges matter.

The most important thing to consider in selecting a candidate is your informed opinion: Do they match your positions on issues? Is their vision of the future of America the same as yours? The best way to do this is research. There are dozens of unbiased resources where you can learn where a candidate stands, at every level from national to local. Check out Barack Obama and Mitt Romney’s platforms at their respective websites. Additionally, OnTheIssues has a complete voting record of all the candidates. To see where a candidate stands on current issues, seek media from a variety of news sources.

Some of the biggest issues for this election are unemployment and the national debt. Both candidates have pledged to get Americans back to work. Unemployment is still too high, and the country won’t be prosperous until every American has a chance to find a job. The debate over the Affordable Care Act has been a significant issue, as well. Republicans feel the plan is too expensive for businesses, while Democrats believe that healthcare laws are too restrictive. Mitt Romney has made a promise to repeal the law, while President Obama has vowed to continue his reform efforts if re-elected. There’s plenty of information to consider when voting, but once you feel you have enough knowledge on the issues, take the Candidate Match Quiz to see whose policies you most agree with. Lastly, don’t forget the most important thing: VOTE!