Course Registration Made Simple

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

It’s that time of the quarter again. It may just be two months away, but amidst the whirlwind of midterms and homework, Christmas break feels like a lifetime away. It’s no wonder many students go into panic mode when they realize the winter registration deadline is just a few days away. But don’t worry! Registration is simple and it only takes a few hours’ work to set you up for the future.

1. Find your registration date on eCampus. Registration begins November 5th, so log on soon. If you miss your registration date, it’ll get a lot harder to find classes that you want.

2. Find your classes at http://www.scu.edu/courseavail/. Now this is where it can get difficult. Be prepared to spend an hour or more figuring out your classes. If you have time, make an appointment with your advisor to talk about degree requirements. Don’t make the mistake of signing up for a class you don’t need, or worse, not signing up for one you do! Some majors have stricter class requirements, so you may not be able to sign up for all the electives you want. We’ve picked out a few notable classes for you to consider.

ENGR 110: Engineering Project for the Community

This class provides a unique opportunity to apply engineering knowledge outside of the classroom. This class gives students a chance to connect with the community in Santa Clara. Previous projects have included working on a community garden and a pedestrian footbridge. Everyone is welcome to sign up– it’s not limited to engineers. However, do note that this is an upper division class, so be sure you have the appropriate pre-requisites if you’re not an upperclassman.

THTR 8: Acting for Non-majors

Ever wanted to perform a captivating monologue? Or see if you have what it takes to make it in Hollywood? Acting for Non-majors is designed to give students a crash course on what it takes to be a performer. It’s a fun, free-flowing class that gives you a chance to unwind and let out all your energy. It can also fulfill your Arts requirement!

Phil 6: Ethical Issues in Business

For many of us, Santa Clara will give us our first chance to take an ethics class. Philosophy 6 offers a great opportunity to fulfill a core requirement while learning about ethical issues that will test many of us in the business world.

Comm 20: Public Speaking

More people list speaking in front of a crowd as a bigger fear than being buried alive. However, public speaking is an essential skill, and with the assistance of this class, we can work to conquer our fears of speaking in front of a crowd.

3. Find your registration time. Once you have your registration time, figure out how that will affect your schedule that day. Will you need to wake up early, or is it during the middle of class? If it is, make sure your professor knows that you’ll be zoning out of class for a few minutes. Also, be sure to be online when your registration period opens. If you miss it, you’ll kill your chances of getting into the competitive classes.

4. Make a list of the classes you want – from most competitive to least competitive. If you have the chance, load up your eCampus ‘shopping cart’ before your registration period. Then you can just log in, and sign up in a couple of minutes. Once your registration period begins, sign up for one class at a time; if you try to do them all at once, you’ll miss out on one, and have to start all over. Also, don’t be afraid to sign up for more classes than you need either. It’s easy to drop it in the first couple of weeks if you’re still deciding between courses.

Registration is a daunting task, and it makes a big impact on your future. However, if you plan properly, you’ll pull it off without a hitch, and be perfectly set up for next year.

Photo Source: http://www.marylhurst.edu/