To the Students with “Unconventional” Dreams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCSU chapter.

It can be hard to choose what it is you want to do with your life. You’re expected to choose a career path before you even know what you want for lunch that same day. 

There are the “traditional” jobs like teaching, nursing, law, business, and more which are completely wonderful. I myself wanted to be a teacher ever since I was little, I always thought that was what I would be. As I got older I became interested in many other things and before I knew it I had forgotten that I wanted to be a teacher and jumped into another dream entirely. I still have my doubts from time to time, am I making the right decision in not being a teacher? I don’t know.

I think when someone wants to act, sing, write, create art and be all those other “unconventional” things that people say are impossible to succeed in you will have your doubts.

“It is a tough field”, “It is a competitive field”, “There are no jobs in that field”, “That field is dying”. What do you do when you’re halfway through your education for this career and the doubts begin to creep in?

Photo by: Mario Calvo

To have a chance at making your dreams come true you will have to push away the negativity of the people you encounter. Many will try to persuade you into thinking that you have no shot, sometimes they just want to make sure you have a set future. But what happens when you assure a future but are completely unhappy?

Sometimes you just have to take a shot. I think it is unfair to step on your dreams just because others tell you they’re a lost cause. If you never give your “unconventional” dreams some wings, they’ll never get a chance to fly.

Photo By: Wil Stewart

Cover

SCSU Campus Correspondant. Communication major, journalism minor.