This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Before I went abroad, I wish someone had told me things I should’ve known and done. Here’s a little note for someone who is about to take on the adventure of studying abroad in Florence:

You are about to embark on an experience of a lifetime. You’re getting ready to get on a plane to Florence, Italy for the semester and you have no idea what you are possibly getting yourself into. Expect a variety of challenges, but all in all, you will love every minute. You will create friendships that last a lifetime and experience things that even you’re parents did not get to experience. This reality will leave a huge impact on the rest your life, a nostalgic feeling every time you peer at the pictures. This is not only because you miss the people you met (hell, you’ve already went to visit them) but also because you miss the life you lived abroad.

You’d dare to do anything to venture back for one single day. You’ll fall in love with their way of life.  The laid back, work-to-live environment they have coined is something you will crave for months back home. You know you’ll have no choice but to walk everywhere, but girl look at those calves! When the weather is beautiful, why not walk around and check out the old architecture? It’s unlike anywhere else in the world. You will be living in a piece of history that dates back centuries. Also, this is huge: DO NOT worry, your apartment will have Wi-Fi!

You will learn how to party until the sun comes up like the Europeans who double-fist wine bottles each day. This is okay because it’s cheaper than water and you’re only young once, right? You’re going to miss your family, but don’t fret because odds are they will come visit you! Do as much as you can in the compacted time. A semester goes by quicker than you think.

Climb the Duomo regardless if there is a line wrapped around it!

Grab Gusta pizza and walk up the Piazzale Michelangelo to stare at the sunset. Eat your little heart out. You’re going to walk it off anyway, so destroy that extra scoop of Nutella flavored gelato!

Don’t be shy; speak the language you’ve been studying for six years. The Italians will adore hearing you, they will not be ignorant of foreigners! Walk with confidence (pretend you are not lost in city center!) You will wish you had your iPhone GPS, but soon enough you’ll have a permanent mental map of Florence.

Take the tacky tourist pictures. Do not have any shame, hold up the leaning tower of Pisa and touch the tip of the pyramids outside the Louvre! Pretty please, watch out for thieves and gypsies because you won’t even know they stole from you until you go to grab your euros for a water bottle. Be aware of your surroundings at all times, there are some sketchy people out there. I know you’re going to regret not bringing a Go Pro camera.

Make sure you enjoy every moment of this incredible journey you are embarking on. It won’t compare with anything you will do ever again. This experience will force you to grow up and make you appreciate the small things in life (and the big things!) So get ready, because it’s a crazy ride!

I'm a twenty-year-old junior at the University of Scranton. I aspire to work in public relations after I graduate, as well as travel the world. I grew up on the south shore of Long Island.
Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so