The OMG Phases of Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Pumpkin Spice LatteWhat’s Halloween without a PSL?! Shout out to Starbucks for giving us an extra two months of Fall this year. Getting through classes and the cold weather is made easier with a Pumpkin Spice Latte in hand. If you’re lucky the Baristas may even spell your name right making it a prime picture opportunity. 

Pumpkin PatchYou can NOT celebrate Halloween without a pumpkin and nothing is better than picking out your own. Hop on a hayride and get ready to search for the greatest pumpkin you can find. Let’s face it, did you really go pumpkin picking if you didn’t Instagram it?

Costume Brainstorming Scarecrows? No. Army girl? Everyone does it. Blaire and Serena? No one will know what we are. Beyonce? Ugh, get real none of us could pull that off #sadface. The struggle of picking out a costume is one that every girl suffers through. No matter how many costume ideas you come up with at least one of your friends will have an issue with it.

Same Costume DramaSo, after months of planning and stressing you think you’ve come up with the most creative costume ever. Instead, you find out that 50% of Scranton is planning on dressing up as the same thing. Your friends say so what just wear it but come on, as if. How could you possibly wear the same, exact costume as someone else?! Bring on the Halloween meltdown because it’s back to the drawing board.

Panic ModeSo you and your bestie decided to be Frozen’s Elsa and Anna, come on it was SO original. Except it wasn’t, because you heard the girl who sit three seats behind you say that’s what she’s being… acca-awkward.

Instead of listening to your professor talk about the fundamentals of who knows what, now you’re stressing over your costume. After all that planning you need to start over.

Phase 1: Panic mode. As soon as class is over you call your bff and freak out that someone else is being Elsa aka you can’t be.

Phase 2: Mission Impossible. You’re on a hunt to re-find the perfect costume. What do you do? Spend three hours on Pintrest searching for “original” costumes. After all that time what have you found? Nothing… but you’ve lost three hours.

Phase 3: The, I give up phase. There’s no hope I’ll NEVER find a costume now. Ugh, forget it I’ll just wear animal ears and let everyone guess what I am.

Phase 4: Say goodbye to your planned costume. It’s official someone else has it, sadly it’s time to move on.

It’s HalloweenAfter eating your body weight in candy, drinking enough PSL’s for a small city and going through costumes like water, it’s officially Halloween. Also known as the biggest and best themed party of the year. You’ve been prepping for this day since August and now it’s time to show every house party, Oscar’s, GoodFellas and Cockeyed’s you’re ah-maz-ing costume. Get ready to party and enjoy the wonderful thing college kids created known as Halloweekend.

Elise is a Jersey girl who loves to travel the world, she enjoys keeping up with the latest fashion trends and believes an Instagram a day keeps the doctor away. She is a senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Writing. Elise is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend Samantha (every brunette needs a blonde right?) This past summer she interned in Public Relations at The Thomas Collective, a boutique lifestyle agency in New York City. When her toes are not in the sand, she’s hailing a cab or packing her bags ready to jet set anywhere and everywhere. Fun Fact: Elise is a member of Scranton’s Equestrian team. Follow her on Instagram @liseyleelee and on Twitter @eliseteresa!