The Key to Being a Wise Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

I wish I did not take for granted when people told me “four years of college flies by, enjoy it while you can.”  I would laugh, nod my head, and say, “I know! That’s what everyone keeps telling me!”  Actually, I knew nothing, so that was a complete lie. 

While looking back on old pictures, social media posts and talking with my housemates, I wish I knew everything I know now at 21.  Here is a brief list of wise tips from a once not so wise freshman:

1. You really do not need to wear a crop top out every night.  Wear what you want and what you feel comfortable in, you will be much happier in the long run.

2. Transitioning smoothly from number one: DO NOT wear a bandage skirt with flip flops! (So we are clear, I never did this. I was just an innocent bystander.)

3. That kid over there talking to fifteen girls may be cute, but did you forget the part about him talking to fifteen other girls?

4. It is OK to go home for a weekend or stay in one night if you really need it! FOMO is indeed real, but the same stories, parties, and scandals will be there next weekend. Pinky promise.

5. You won’t look weird  if you spend a lot of time in the library. You will feel a lot better about yourself when you’re focused and getting great grades!

6. No one is out to get you; that other group of girls who stares at you does not hate you and your friends; you are stuck living with these people for four years.  Grow up, get over yourself, and go make some new friends.  This is not high school anymore.

7. Stay genuine to who you are no matter what.  It gets hard at times, but you need to remember that although others and their opinions are constantly trying to get to you, your own actions and attitude are what really matters.  Be yourself, and you can never go wrong.

Julia Troost is a born and raised New Yorker, which comes as no shock once you hear her accent. She is a current senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Occupational Therapy with a minor in Psychology. Having a love for writing and fashion from a young age, HerScranton allows Julia to take a break from the sciences and embody her inner Carrie Bradshaw (circa late 2004). You’ll never see her without a smile on her face or yelling at people to “be optimistic!” Julia looks forward to completing her clinicals at prestigious NYC hospitals, and ultimately working with war veterans.
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_