This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Every year, I say I’m going to come up with a great Halloween costume. Yet somehow, I get lost studying for midterms that I forget how quickly Halloween approaches. Then, I have to run around and put something together that still looks good and I end up spending way more money than I planned on.

For those who are last minute like me, here are some ideas that my friends and I have DIYed for Halloween over the past couple years. They will save you both time and money and still look like you tried!

1. Prisoner/Robber

An easy DIY costume that is usually forgotten about is the prisoner. This was actually my last minute costume last year, and I put it together by wearing a black and white striped crop top, black jeans, black boots, and a black beanie. Complete the look by writing a prisoner ID number onto a post it note and putting it on your shirt. I also had black lipstick on hand that I thought made me look more bada*s.(Bonus points if your friend dresses up as a cop to be the ultimate cop and robber duo!) 

2. Sugar Skull

The sugar skull is a pretty easy costume to put together because it only requires wearing all black, but the difficult part is applying all of the makeup. However, if you are up for it, the sugar skull is an awesome costume that always looks amazing. If you happen to have fake flowers lying around, putting those in your hair will complete the look.

3. Cheetah

Everyone owns at least one article of clothing that is cheetah print, and you definitely have cat ears hidden in a storage bin from a past Halloween costume or dance class when you were 5. Pair it with black, add cute heels, and complete the look by painting on whiskers and a nose with eyeliner. If you’re artistic, you can even create some cheetah print for the side of your face for an added appeal.

4. Mermaid

In my younger days, I really wanted to be Ariel (alright, I still do), so I wanted to dress up as a mermaid one year. I happened to do it last year; I used a green bandeau and a green maxi skirt. You can use any different color varieties of maxi skirts and bandeaus to fit the color scheme of the mermaid you want to be. I finished off my look by curling my hair, wearing pearl necklaces and bracelets, putting glitter on my body, and making hair clips using starfish that I bought from Michaels.

5. 80’s Girl

The 80’s were full of bright colors and work out clothes- so pair that together!Pick your brightest articles of clothing (preferably athletic clothes) and you’ll have the perfect look. Knee high socks, an off the shoulder sweatshirt (which you can achieve by cutting the neck of a crew neck sweatshirt), and scrunchies are a must. The bigger the hair, the better!*If you have a leotard, pair that with leggings and knee high socks!

6. Tourist

This costume is guaranteed to generate many laughs, and its super easy to pull together. Just go to Goodwill and get the busiest Hawaiian shirt you can find. Don’t forget funny sunglasses and a bucket hat!

7. Devil

The Devil costume is easy to pull off because all it requires is wearing red. There are millions of ways to put it together, and here is an idea below that one of my friends did which I loved.

8. Hippie

The hippie costume is incredibly easy because you can wear any type of tie-dye clothing to get the look. Add a flowered headband and sunglasses and you’re set.

9. TY Beanie Baby

The great thing about TY animals is that there is soooo many from which to choose. Pair any animal ears with a color scheme that goes with your animal. This could be a great group costume if everyone chooses to be a different TY animal!

10.  Serena and Blair

Blondies- Grab your brunette BFF and you’ll be the ultimate duo. Make sure you don’t forget to add a little bit of Blair and Serena’s styles into the costume and everyone will be wishing they grew up on the Upper East Side like you.

11.  Vampire

A Halloween classic. The creepier the makeup- the more the costume will look like you tried.

I hope you use some of these ideas! Happy Halloween!

xo Her Campus Scranton 

Jill is a Junior at the University of Scranton majoring in Counseling and Human Services. She is a self proclaimed beauty and fashion lover, so HerCampus was the perfect place to stay connected and share her own tips & tricks. When she's not on social media, you can catch her watching endless movies and re-runs of Friends, binge-eating her favorite snacks & wishing she was on the beach. Follow her on Instagram @jcumming3. 
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_