What I Learned Taking Summer Classes at SCAD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

I had been thinking about doing summer classes at SCAD since winter quarter my freshman year. Yet, I didn’t know any freshmen who were also planning on taking summer classes, nor did I know many upperclassmen who had the experience. I had many adventures during the summer (I met Shia Labeouf!), and while I l learned a lot in the classroom (Okay, I didn’t learn much this summer) I did, however, learn a lot more outside of classes. Thinking about doing summer classes? Here’s my advice!

Don’t Feel Bad About Doing Summer Classes

First, there is no shame in doing summer classes in college. There is a huge difference from doing summer classes in high school to summer classes in college. Don’t feel guilty or shameful if you have to spend your summer at college. No one will judge you. (In fact, most of my friends kept messaging me about how much they missed SCAD!) College is extremely important and takes time and dedication.

(Image source SCAD.edu)

It’s Very Quiet

It felt as if 90% of SCAD’s population had disappeared. Academic halls felt abandoned. It was extremely easy to find parking. The Hive wasn’t as active, and Ex Libris wasn’t busy between class periods. Classes were rarely full. There were no large crowds outside the entrance of academic buildings after classes had ended, and the buses weren’t even close to being a quarter way of being full. The Student Center and library felt dead. Even the city of Savannah felt a bit quieter. It was strange the way things were, as if a zombie apocalypse had attacked the campus. 

Your Class Options are Limited

During the regular academic quarter, you have dozen of professors and classes to chose from, making a customizable schedule. Yet during the summer, I could only find one color theory professor teaching, and one professor teaching math. Your options are limited, so be prepared! You may not get a favorite professor that you want. 

Yes, You Will Make Friends

Freshman year, I said hello to anything that moved. I was extremely extroverted, and always wanted to be around people. The thought of being alone and having no friends in college terrified me. After finding a close group of friends, I chilled out, and became calmer and less active during winter and spring quarter. During the summer, SCAD campus is dead. There aren’t fun RA organized events where you can meet people, there are very few SCAD sponsored events, and no clubs are organized. I found myself alone, introverted and isolated. It wasn’t until around midterms that I came out of my shell, became myself, and made new friends. It was extremely hard to make friends over the summer, but don’t worry, you won’t be alone! Be sure to put yourself out there, and introduce yourself to your classmates.

There are Also Lots of Older Students

During the summer, I was surprised to see students who weren’t straight out of high school. I met students in their 30’s who were married. I became friends with one girl who was working on her 2nd Bachelor’s degree at SCAD, and one girl who served in the U.S. army and was married. Many of the older students had just transferred in, to catch up on classes, and to get ahead. Not everyone at SCAD is young!

(Image source SCAD.edu)

Building Hours are Tricky

During the summer, I decided with my free time that I should practice my skills at the Jewelry studio. But then I realized that it was open only Monday through Saturday, and closing at 7:30 pm. The Hive shortened its hours to closing at 8pm, which infuriated me because I had a 5pm class, the Hive would already be closed once I returned to my dorm. Be sure to check buildings’ hours!

The Food is Slightly Better. Only Slightly

Only one food hall was open during the Summer, and that was the Hive. I was surprised that the food was better quality, only  to impress the Rising Star and Summer Seminar students. They had interesting food, such as customizable mac and cheese bowls, delicious egg rolls, crepes, and stir fry. The breakfast was the best, and every weekend, I would be there early for the omelette bar. But don’t get too excited, The Hive still had tasteless chicken.

It’s OK to Take it Easy

Don’t think that you need to choose the hardest classes. Yes, you are still a full time student, but enjoy your summer! It was common to see people only taking two classes during the summer, and for those who took 3 classes, many chose laid back classes. I chose to take some of my foundation classes and general education classes- CMPA, Math, and Color Theory; all very easy, with CMPA being the most interesting class during the summer. Don’t stress yourself out, it is your summer after all!

(Image source SCAD.edu)

Take the Time to Explore New Things

If you are only taking 2 classes, or 3 easy classes, use the free time you have to explore new things.  My roommate introduced me to new restaurants, and to new recreational Savannah activities. I was able to visit the Oglethorpe mall for the first time. Go to Tybee, head to River Street, or City Market and wonder ‘What is Shia Labeouf doing here?’. Explore a new academic building, head to the library, or pick up a hobby. Make Savannah your playground, and have some fun!

Bring an Umbrella

While preparing for my freshman year at SCAD, I read dozen of blogs that said to bring a trusty umbrella and rainboots with you to college, and it saved me. Savannah during the summer turns into monsoon season, with it pouring heavily every other day. Not a fan of thunderstorms and lightning? Then you may not want to do summer classes, because thunderstorms are frequent during summer in Savannah. Also, the humidity and heat in summertime Savannah are legendary!

Some People are There for a Reason

After being put in the wrong class during the winter, and having to withdraw, I decided that I needed to catch up, and taking summer classes was a good idea. I was there during the summer to keep myself busy and occupied (Better stay productive than sitting at home and wasting my summer away), yet other students were there for different reasons. I met some Venezuelan students, who choose to stay at SCAD during the summer, instead of returning to their home country where it is in shambles. Some students I met had family issues, and time at SCAD was a good way to escape. Some had started SCAD in winter or spring quarter, and wanted to catch up. Some where either double majoring or double minoring, and needed the summer to stay on track of things. Others were still figuring out which major to declare. Everyone has their reasons.

It’s Worth it in the End

I had an extremely short, 2 week break between spring and summer classes, and another short break between summer and fall classes (That break was extended due to Hurricane Irma). During those two weeks after spring quarter, I asked myself “What am I doing? I don’t want to do this. I need a break. I can’t leave my family,friends,and my cats for another 10 weeks’. I didn’t know what to expect, and I felt unprepared. The anxiety kept me up at night. I regreted my choice, and wanted to tell my parents that I no longer wanted to do summer classes. It was only a few days before I had to head back to Savannah that I accepted my choice of doing summer classes. I became adjusted and got use to it. I kept myself occupied,and experienced a different side in Savannah and SCAD. Taking classes over the summer has put my 2 classes ahead compared to the average student (I also got an early class registration time slot!) And incase if I do have to withdraw from another class, I’ll be ok. Do I regret taking summer classes? No. Would I do it again? Probably not. But in the end, I learned a lot, and grew from it.

Schuyler Cannon is from Birmingham, Alabama, and is currently a freshman at the Savannah College of Art and Design, majoring in Jewelry. A lover of cats,sushi,ice cream,smiles,and art.