The One and Only Jenna Barrow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

If you do not know Jenna Barrow, you need to get to know her!  She is from Barbados, she is one of the funniest people I have ever met and her stories are fantastic.  Curious to learn more about her and about her experience as an international student at SCAD Atlanta, I asked her to share some of her insight and advice.

Photo Courtesy of Jenna Barrow

RA: What year are you?

JB: Junior year.

RA: What is your major and why did you choose it?

JB: I am an Animation major.  I chose Animation so that I can use it as a platform to expose more cultures to the world, whether it be mine or someone else’s. I wanted to show what’s different and the same and to get a more accurate representation especially for kids whose minds are sponges. Growing up seeing the same generic thing on TV was hard because I thought this is what I had to be, I could never understand why everyone looked and spoke the same, and it was something that I could never achieve, and I want to change that.

RA: What are your favorite TV shows?

JB: That 70s Show and The Office.

RA: What is your favorite beauty product?

JB: An eyebrow pencil and some concealer, girl.

RA: What is your favorite thing about Atlanta?

JB: Seeing Atlanta at night.  The big buildings and the lights make everything so outer worldly almost.

RA: What is the biggest challenge you’ve faced living in another country?

JB: The huge language barrier.  We call an eraser a “rubber” in the Caribbean.  You know how much trouble that caused.

RA: Where are you hoping to go after graduation?

JB: Wherever the wind takes me, could be here, could be there.

RA: If you could give one piece of advice to international students, what would it be?

JB: Keep an open mind, always challenge people’s way of thinking.  Be inquisitive and you will learn so much more that way.  It will be hard to let some habits go, but so much creativity can come from grasping and understanding a few cultures at once, and you will become incredibly diverse.

Rose Andrews is a sophomore at Savannah College of Art and Design Atlanta, majoring in Fashion Marketing and Management and minoring in Fashion. After graduation, she hopes to work in Fashion PR. Rose loves puppies, naps, and coffee.