3 Ways To Celebrate Valentine’s Day in Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Valentine’s day is coming and regardless of how much has changed about the holiday, it is still the day that every woman can feel her most fantastic — contrary to popular opinion.  To me, Valentine’s is short for Love. It is a day to celebrate love and treat ourselves well, regardless of whether your SO is yourself, your friends or a love interest.  It is very important to love ourselves and to show love to the ones in our life on a regular basis, and this is the perfect opportunity.  It’s time to pamper ourselves, show off our beauty and perhaps get some lovin’ from our SO. So, kick off your shoes and relax your feet, pop open some bubbly and let’s get to that TLC — even if it is right in the middle of Winter Quarter.

Illustration by Julia Yoon (that’s me!)

1. Pamper yourself

Pampering yourself is one of the best things about Valentine’s Day, and it’s so much more than just going to the spa.  It is a day to feel your most confident and everybody knows that part of feeling confident comes from treating ourselves well, thinking highly of and loving on ourselves.  So, whether it’s grabbing some extra champagne & chocolates, going to the spa for a bit of R&R, or even just taking an hour or two to do something you truly enjoy, treat yourself to some sweet refreshment.  After all, you’re worth it.  

Illustration by Julia Yoon 

2.  Show off that beauty.

Now, when it comes to showing off our beauty, ladies, we are allowing people a glimpse into our value by the way we treat our bodies.  So, why not dress it up and show it off a bit?  What is on the inside is perhaps the most important.  Starting of course with our own value for ourselves, but then, what are your underthings looking like?  According to Ravishly.com, what you wear underneath your clothing has a lot to do with how you look and feel.  Not only is wearing lingerie fun to do because of the lace and beauty it bears, but also because it can literally make you feel more like the beautiful woman you are and it can add confidence to try out something new.  Let’s be braver this Valentine’s. Try some adventurous innerwear and be freer. Valentine’s a great time to allow ourselves to be more courageous and confident with our bodies.  So, treat yourself to wearing something beautiful and know that you are a powerful woman regardless of who sees it. It is a time stop hiding and love ourselves! Go on with your beautiful self!  

Illustration by Julia Yoon 

3.  Receive love, hun

Of course, showing your beauty is one of the ways that we allow others to see us.  Remember, people only know the you that you show them.  Those who see your loveliness can’t help but love you.  So, here’s to gettin’ some lovin’ on your day.  Whether you are your own SO or you share parts of your life with another person, whom you care for, this time of year is a great time to show some extra love and get some in return.  It’s what makes the winter bla’s go away after all!  Whatever that looks like for you, here’s to love.  

Whether you struggle with the traditional Valentine’s Day bitterness of “being alone” or you are surrounded by love right now, I want you to know that you are beautiful and it’s time for you to begin to see it for yourself.  So, go get pampered (and know you’re worth it), dress your best (and know your powerful) and receive love (because you deserve love, everyday).  I wish you the best this Valentine’s Day.  With love.  

For some ideas on how to pamper yourself, see Victoria’s Secret.

Starting out as a staff writer & visual contributor in the Spring of 2016, Christine soon became the replacement Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Savannah College of Art and Design for the 2016-17 school year. In January 2017, she facilitated the launch of the SCAD Atlanta branch's own editorial launch, apart from the Savannah campus, leading the team to win some 2017 Her Campus awards!  She is an illustrator and avid history lover, and she also served in the Army as an Analyst and went to Bethel Ministry School before attending SCAD.  Her goal, as an illustrator, writer and in life in general, is to mine life of the treasure contained within.  She loves to find and put on display ideas, people (portraiture) and beautiful things.  Valuable things that are all around us in our everyday life in the form of friends, coworkers, classmates, nature, even industry.  She loves music (even writing songs and performing!), dance and new adventures.   Eventually she plans to write and illustrate children's books, have her own business featuring greeting cards, paper products, and her own revolutionary online/physical editorial publication.  For more about Christine check out her website at www.christineburney.com.