Coffee and Photography with Oscar Fermin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Year: Senior 

Major: Strategic Communications 

Hometown: Brooklyn, NY 

Favorite Food: Lasagna 

What is something about you that not a lot of people know? 

* When I was younger I entered a Spanish spelling bee and got all the way through to the states qualifier. 

What is something that you wish people understood about living in New York City? 

* “Living in New York city is like dating a comedian, or a writer, or an artist: fun while it lasts, but when it’s over, man it’s over. 

* Gentrification is a real thing.

What are some of your favorite hobbies? 

* Trying new coffee shops 

* Scheduling my day around my coffee time 

* Figuring out what Tumblr photo compliments my aesthetic the best 

You’re interested in photography, what sparked your interest? 

* I’m intrigued by the simplest things like sunsets and landscapes. One day I decided to document what I observed and to my surprise I was introduced to this community of people who were just as fascinated as I was. 

What is your favorite thing to shoot? 

* Lifestyle & People. There’s something about cameras that makes individuals appear delicate within this jagged culture. I don’t do photoshoots either, I don’t believe in that structure. I try to make myself as incognito as possible and engage in conversation with someone in order to obtain a natural shot. 

What do you look for in a subject? 

* This is like asking someone if they have a certain type. Personally, I just know who I want to take photos of once I see them. Sometimes the individual has a skin tone that I know compliments a certain background or a certain vision. 

What is your favorite part of photography? 

* There’s a certain high you acquire when you set out with a vision and once you develop your photos it’s an exact replica of your idea. 

What is your favorite thing about Bonas? 

* The space to think. Whether it’s time to yourself or just need some air you have plenty or trail.

PC: Oscar Fermin

I'm a Junior Strategic Communications major at Saint Bonaventure University, also known as the greatest place on earth. Hobbies include eating ridiculous amounts of food, watching Scandal and swimming. I'm probably wearing converse.