6 Microblading Questions Answered by Someone Who Actually Had It Done 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Even if you haven’t heard of the term “microblading,” you’ve probably heard of eyebrow tattoos. Since microblading is still new and trendy to the beauty world, many people are confused as to what this procedure is all about. I don’t know many other people who’ve had it done (but I do know many that are curious). So, I decided to answer some of your questions! Here are 6 commonly asked questions about microblading, answered by someone who actually had it done: 

1. What is the difference between eyebrow tattoos and microblading? 

Microblading is a NOT an eyebrow tattoo! This is a newer procedure that uses semi-permanent ink and is done closer to the surface of the skin, so it is not a forever-tattoo and will fade over time. Microblading is becoming more popular because it creates more of a natural, fuller, brush-stroke look that many women strive for. Eyebrow tattoos tend to give more of a filled in, solid line type of look, while microblading creates the look of detailed, individual hairs. If done by a good artist, these brows can last you 2-3 years. With annual touch-ups, they can last as long as you’d like! 

2. How exactly does it work? 

I’ll be honest: before I walked into my appointment, I had no clue what I was getting myself into. I figured it was like any other tattoo, just semi-permanent. But, I was very wrong. It’s so much more complicated than that! However, the artist cleared up all of my questions before she started. DON’T BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS!! They are tattooing your face! 

1. First, you talk with the artist about what you want: color, shape, arch, etc. Then, they measure your features and draw out the shape and size your brows should be, according to your facial shape and size (anything can be altered to your preferences, though). 

2. Once you’re happy with the shape, they may or may not apply numbing cream, depending on where you go. 

3. To choose your color, the artist will help you choose the perfect shade to go with your hair and skin tone, so no worries there! 

4. To begin the actual procedure, they go in with a tool that consists of 6-12 needles in a line. Next, they create small, papercut-like incisions on your brows to look like hair strokes. 

5. After the spaces are created, they go in with the dye and lay in on top. The dye sits for a little, they wipe it off, and voila! 

6. Repeat on brow #2, and that is just about it for the first appointment! This appointment is really just to lay the groundwork, and the place I went to offered a free 4-6-week touch-up where the details were really put in place. 

To get a more detailed look at how this is done, watch YouTube videos! They show full procedures with before and after pics. 

3. Did it hurt? 

This is probably the question I get asked most of all, and I won’t sugar coat it! I have two tattoos, so I figured I knew the pain and this would be tolerable. However, this is a different kind of pain. Since it is right on your brow bone and the skin is so thin, it does hurt much more than a normal tattoo. The first appointment wasn’t too bad, but the second one was pretty painful. Even though my artist offered numbing cream, she had to reapply a lot, and I don’t think it did much for me. 

4. Did they shave your eyebrows off/ Do you still have hair/ Do you still need to get them done? 

These are my favorite questions, and I can’t help but laugh! No, they do not shave off your eyebrows. The artists try to make it look as natural as possible, so they are really just enhancing what you already have! Yes, I still have all my hair there, but the reason I got it done in the first place was because my brow hair is very light and thin. No, I don’t get my eyebrows waxed anymore. Since I have gotten microblading, there is now a nice outline for me to pluck around as needed! 

5. How much does it cost? 

When I first heard of microblading, I was shocked to hear the cost was about $700. That sounded so extreme and not even a possibility for me. After doing my research, I found a place with great reviews that only charged $350. With tipping from the two appointments, my total cost came to $425. This is about as low as it gets, but as long as you do your research, it’s possible to find a place within your budget! But just remember—you get what you pay for! 

6. How did you find a trustworthy place? 

Research, research, research. I searched online for a few weeks before I found the right place, which happened to be two hours from me. Things I looked for were: positive reviews, pictures (this was most important to me), location, and price. Positive reviews and good before and after pictures were a MUST. It’s hard to trust a place that doesn’t have proof of their work! Look for businesses with Instagrams and Facebook pages that post their work. As for location, this can be tough. If you’re lucky, you may be able to find a place in your town. If you’re in a big city you may have more options. If not, you may have to travel a little since microblading has yet to become widely-known! 

This was one of the greatest things I have ever done, and I highly recommend to anyone who struggles with their brows. Before I got this done, I could not go a day without makeup, I was constantly filling them in, and it was really embarrassing looking like I didn’t have eyebrows. Now I feel totally comfortable without wearing makeup and barely fill them in at all! 

If you have any other questions about my experience or would like to know artists that I recommend, feel free to email me at bardwemp16@bonaventure.edu!

Photo Credit: imagesource.com

Buffalo, NY. SBU '20. Strategic Communications and Digital Media Major.
I'm a Junior Strategic Communications major at Saint Bonaventure University, also known as the greatest place on earth. Hobbies include eating ridiculous amounts of food, watching Scandal and swimming. I'm probably wearing converse.