5 Reasons Why Not Having A Car On Campus Isn’t The Worst Thing Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Sure, having a car on campus is nice. At the same time, though, there are a lot of awkward situations that having a car can put you in. Despite the extra miles of walking you might have to put in, there are some pros to this unfairly stereotyped con.

1.)  Having a car means mucho mooching.

The unfortunate reality is that everyone on your campus needs a ride somewhere. Whether it’s to a party, the local Walmart, or class, it’s likely that you’ll be subject to those constant “I hate to ask but…” texts. Not having a car might save you the trouble of having to turn down a friend in need.

2.)  You might have to walk the walk, but at least you’ll be able to talk the talk.

Even if you don’t have a car and walking to class might take a bit longer than you like, there’s still a silver lining. Walking to class is the perfect opportunity to socialize. Asking a friend to walk with you gives you some time to hangout before your busy day. If your friends are on opposite schedules, scope out who you see walking to class and start making some conversation.

3.)  No car means extra cha-ching.

Let’s be honest, gas prices aren’t exactly cheap—especially for a college student. Having a car is a huge temptation to make unnecessary trips just for the sake of getting off campus. As fun as these trips might be, they aren’t always the kindest on your already light wallet.

4.)  No car means not fighting the urge for Frosties, fries, and frappes.

Speaking of temptations, having a car on campus makes satisfying those late-night McDonald’s cravings that much easier. As good as that burger might sound, it might not always be the best decision. Not having a car is the best obstacle to stand between you and those extra-large fries.

5.)  You’ll never have to be the “D.D.”

Whether you opt to stay in on the weekends or choose to go out, having a car is an ultimate entrance into the “who’s going to D.D.” lottery. It’s uncomfortable to have to deny your friends a ride back from the bars. At the same time, it’s equally as uncomfortable to be the sober friend among your, well, not-so-sober friends. Not having a car on campus is an easy way to avoid all the awkwardness that comes with the task of being a D.D.

Freshman journalism and mass communication major at St. Bonaventure University
A junior at St. Bonaventure University majoring in Journalism/Mass Communications and French. She can always be found with a Dunkin Donuts iced coffee in hand, at the gym attempting to do yoga, or binge watching Grey's Anatomy with Ben&Jerry's. You can follow her on twitter @emilyrosman or on Instagram emilyrosman.