Mariah Truitt: Black Girl Magic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

Our third profile is a spotlight in our seires ” A Look Into Our Chapter” is on Mariah Truitt. Mariah will be a sophomore next term but as a frshman already has quite an impresssive resume. Mariah was Ms. Freshman for Savannah State for 2017-2018, she also is won Ms. Collegiate 100, and is invovled in multiple school activites. Mariah is truly the definiton of #BlackGirlMagic! 

Otissia: What is your major and why did you pick it?

Mariah: Originally, my major was Computer Science Technology, but dwelling on it, I could not see myself waking up every morning to program software’s and computers. Thus, I changed it to Mass Communications with a minor in Public Relations and Journalism

Otissia: What do you hope to accomplish with your degree?

Mariah: With my degree, I plan to go to Howard or Georgia State for my Master’s in aspirations of becoming a fashion editor for trending magazines

Otissia: What hope to get out of your personal HBCU experience?

Mariah: My hopes are to truly understand the growth of my people and myself while still gaining an education. Also, I plan to leave a mark on this campus that those to come will dwell on and aspire to be

Otissia: What is your favorite thing about Savannah State University?

Mariah: My favorite thing about Savannah is how it embraces every student’s individual personality and the students are truly one big family.

Otissia: What are 3 things you could tell incoming freshman to help them?

Mariah: Join organizations! This rids excess free time and allows you better interaction with faculty and students. Grades first! There will be so many parties & events to attend throughout the year, you won’t skip a beat if you stay in for one night to finish homework Stay true to yourself! You will be exposed to a variety of different things but if you stay true to yourself and have a specific set of morals/values, that’s what separates you from the rest.

Otissia: What extracurricular activities are you involved in and why would you recommend them to others & why are they important to you? 

Mariah: SGA: Great bonding and networking with prominent leaders/peers of the university

Royal Court (Miss Freshman): Who wouldn’t want to be a queen?! It promotes self-worth and gives you a chance to be the face of your freshman class. Freshman Academy: Surrounding yourself with those of your classification that have the same mindset as you: to become great leaders of our campus. Her Campus, with such potential, this organization focuses on women’s empowerment and follows through with it as well

Otissia: What lessons have you learned as a freshman?

Mariah: As a freshman, I learned that you will have some seriously hard days where it seems like your back is against the wall. I promise perseverance is key and you will get through any obstacles sis/bro!

Otissia: Why would you recommend young women to join Her Campus?

Mariah: Of all the women’s organizations, I believe Her Campus has a distinct taste brought to the campus that revamps the fun in being a female collegiate, how important it is, and prevails our true potential.

Otissia: What do you think it takes for a young woman to be a #bossbabe?

Mariah: To be a #bossbabe, you must realize your self-worth and carry yourself alike. You must be on your grind and keep your eyes on the prize which is success…. all while keeping it cute and classy of course!

Otissia: what is your favorite college memory so far?

My favorite college memory was the 2017-2018 Miss Collegiate 100 pageant. I am so grateful to be crowned queen but the entire experience (pageant practice, dress rehearsals, the ACTUAL PAGEANT) was all a humbling and uplifting experience that I believe every woman should feel.

Hi, My name is Otissia McKinnon. I was born and raised in South Georgia and now I currently attend Savannah State University as a Social Work Major. Helping those who are unable to help themselves is my passion and I intend on making it my life's work. I thoroughly enjoy writing, editing, building and branding social media content. My future plans are to build a women's organization that not only empowers the youngest of hearts but encourages girls as they grow older to be the most loving and successful versions of themselves they can be.