free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

David Handler: The Wholesome Greek

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

David Handler is a junior Homeland Security and Emergency Management major. He plays Quarterback for the Savannah State football team. He is currently Vice President for the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference(MEAC) Student Athlete Advisory Committee(SAAC). He is also a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.   Lastly, he holds the position of Vice President for the NPHC on campus. After graduation, he plans to work for FEMA or the NFL working with their Emergency Management division.

Kristen: What made you choose to be involved in Greek Life here at Savannah State University?

David: I felt that I could make a difference more in my community and be a positive role model for young kids who inspire to play college sports or be involved with Greek life.

Kristen: What factors do you consider in choosing which organization you joined?

David: The factors are based on the mission statement as well as the members who are in the chapter that the you are aspiring to join. They are also based on the individual and what that person feels is best to them.

Kristen: How do you juggle Greek Life with education & all other college activities?

David: One of the biggest things that helps me juggle everything all together is a daily calendar that has my schedule with the items that need to be accomplished because in Greek life you are always doing something for the organization.

Kristen: Do you feel you are a changed person since you’ve pledged of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc? Why?

David: No, I am the same person that I was before I initiated in my organization. If anything, I feel as if I am a better person who can make more of an impact on others.

Kristen: What is one thing you love about greek life?

David: One thing I love abut Greek life is the connections that I’ve made with other people on the same organization and other organizations.

Kristen: What are the short-term benefits of being greek?

David: The short-term benefits is the people behind you in your corner who want to make sure you graduate and the brotherhood you build among people you in your organization.

Kristen: What are the long-term benefits of being Greek?

David: The long-term benefits is the possibility to be set up with a successful career in my field and the able to set up life up for my children.

Kristen: What is one thing you would tell an incoming freshman wanting to be greek?

David: One thing I would say is research the organization that you feel best fits you and learn some of the basic history and attend programs that the organization is holding through the semester to show interest.

Kristen: What would you recommend to an upperclassman wanting to pledge on campus?

David: Similar to a freshman make sure you have all the requirements and attend different programs an learn the history. Express interest in the organization. One thing I was taught is closed mouths don’t get feed.

Kristen What is something for us to expect next semester from your frat and yourself?

David: You can expect us to be really focused on doing different programs for the school. We want to take a break on social events and focus on the service aspect. 

Junior at Savannah State University