This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Theatre isn’t just acting, singing, and dancing. Theatre is also teamwork, hard work, and loads of fun. I find that there’s an aspect of theatre that can suit everyone. There’s the acting, the singing, and the dancing; but there’s also the set building, the tech crew, and stage crew. I did not realize that theatre was going to become my passion when I first joined during high school. If I didn’t join the theatre crew when I was in high school I’m not exactly sure where I would be today. Here are the top 4 reasons why I’ve developed a love for theatre:

1. The Work Ethic It Brings

Theatre isn’t something where you can be lazy while doing it. Theatre takes so much hard work because you have to put in a lot of effort to run a successful show. Whether you’re on stage or off stage it brings you discipline. That discipline can be applied to every aspect of your life. It’s so rewarding in the end when you hear all the great feedback because of you and your peers’ hard work.

2. All Of The Things You Learn

Whether it’s a life lesson or learning how to use a screw driver, you learn at least one thing when you join theatre. I learned how to use different saws, how to run an audio board, and how to balance student life with theatre life. There are so many lessons involved in theatre that make you feel like you can take on the world sometimes.

3. The Friendships You Make 

In theatre, you’re constantly surrounded by people trying to achieve the same goal. During that time you get to know a few people and form friendships with them. Those friendships you make tend to last for a long time. What’s also great is that you get to see those friends all the time at rehearsal! 

4. The Memories It Creates

For every show I’ve been a part of I have at least one great memory. Those memories I have I will always keep in my heart. It makes me sad that I can’t go back and live those happy memories all the time, but I’m glad I got to experience those moments.

Image Sources: Preview Image, Set Construction Image, Audition Picture, Friendship Picture, Curtain Call Picture

Her Campus at SAU