Storm Watch: Harry Styles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

This is a special edition of Storm Watch because Harry Styles has officially started his career as a solo artist and I am freaking out. On Friday, April 7, Styles released his debut single “Sign of the Times” and it is perfect in every way.

You may remember that One Direction began an indefinite hiatus in March of 2016 after nearly five years of nonstop touring and success. The members of One Direction simply grew out of the style of music they were making within the band, and that has become even more clear since each member has pursued their own musical careers. Of the five original members, Styles is the fourth to pursue a solo career, and quite possibly, his has been the most anticipated.

Most of the anticipation could be accredited to how Styles built it up himself. After just about dropping off the face of the earth, he reappeared on social media in late March after six months. His return to social media certainly got people talking, as he only posted three blank images on Instagram.

“Sign of the Times” is everything I expected from Styles. When I listened to the song for the very first time, I got a David Bowie vibe mixed with a little bit of The Beatles, who he cites as one of his largest musical influences.

According to Billboard.com, Styles is expected to be the musical guest on Saturday Night Live next weekend to perform his debut single and one additional song. I am so excited to hear the rest of Styles’ album and see what direction he takes his solo career (no pun intended).

To be honest, I’ve had this song on repeat since it was released. I highly recommend you give it a listen, it can be found on Spotify and iTunes!

**Photo credit: Pixabay.com