Stinger Style: 3 Ways to Rock a Choker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

A 90’s trend that we all thought was dead has made a huge comeback in the world of fashion: the choker. Chokers have gone from being a children’s toy to the young adult’s favorite accessory to rock with jean skirts and lip smackers. Now, it’s a staple clothing piece for stylish adults, celebrities, and even college students. College students all over the country have been incorporating the choker into their everyday style. Chokers range from $5-$15, depending on the quality and style. To be able to get such a stylish piece at a low price, chockers are becoming essential for college students who are on a tight budget. From plastic to velvet to suede, chokers can be worn many different ways making this new trend very versatile and fun. Here are three of my favorite ways to wear chokers!

1. Classic and Casual 

Chokers can be worn very casually, espeically the classic plastic chokers that were first introduced. It pairs well with baseball caps, anything plaid, and denim shorts. Most college students dealing with a full day of classes do not want to worry about the hustle and bustle of putting together an outfit. Chokers look like there was effort put into planning an outfit, but it’s completely effortless. This means waking up last minute for classes, throwing on a flannel and choker, and you are good to go for the school day!

2. Fancy with a Touch of Velvet

With that being said, chokers can also be worn with more fancier outfits for a night out on the town.  Many celebrities, such as Kylie Jenner, have shown interest in chokers and she styles them with designer dresses and big, chunky sweaters. Velvet chokers have become a popular staple piece to wear with dresses or crop tops. Wearing a velvet choker looks a lot fancier when it comes to pairing them with outfits for going out. Wear a choker the next time you go out with your friends, and you’ll be the best dressed one sitting at the bar!

3. Tie the knot with an Edgy look

Tie chokers are another style choice to wear around the neck to create a more edgy look. The edgy look is good for those in-between days, where you may want to look a bit more than casual, but a little less than fancy. You can pair a tie choker with mostly anything, but to create the edgy look try throwing on a denim jacket, crop top, or even a long t-shirt dress like pictured in the above image. These types of styles can be good outfits for going to dinner with friends, or even a date with that special someone. Do not be afraid to experiment with these types of chokers, play around until you get your perfect look. 

Whether you need to throw together an outfit for class, the bar, or even a date, spice it up with a choker and you’ll be looking like a rock star!

Photo Credits: Keara Gross @Kmg_Styles_, green dress, black crop top, tie chocker, last photo

Her Campus at SAU