SAU Celebrates Civil Rights Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

He was honored across the nation for his speech and work as one of the most influential leaders of the Civil Rights Movement. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a man who had a way with words and a dream of bringing equality to the United States. As St. Ambrose University took Monday off to honor MLK, it was also a day to kick off Civil Rights Week to promote everything that this powerful man stood for.

Although there were no classes on Monday, Brewed Awakening was still held in the Chapel Gathering Space. Dr. Tom Carpenter from the Education Department discussed how students are “Striving for Social Justice” in today’s world. On Tuesday, there will be a silent march starting at 3 p.m. starting in the Gathering Space. Marchers will walk around campus to commemorate the week and everything MLK stood for. That evening there will be a Game of Life Simulation at 7 p.m. in the Ballroom. Participants will experience what it would be like to live the life of a minority or someone who is treated unequally. Everyone is invited to participate in a community service activity on Wednesday at Project Renewal from 2:30-5:30 p.m. From 7-8:30 p.m. there will be a panel discussion from people who remember MLK’s last visit to Iowa. They will also discuss what types of civil rights activities are taking place in the Quad Cities. The evening will end with 9:15 mass where students are invited to attend and pray for a respect for all human life. Friday night will see a showing of “12 Years a Slave” at 6 p.m. in the Beehive. The week will end on Saturday night with a Civil Rights Celebration dinner at 6 p.m. in the Rogalski Center Ballroom.

Everyone is invited to attend and participate in all the events this week to help raise awareness for this issue in our country. The goal of the week is for students to learn about the heroes of the past and look toward the activists of today in an effort to bring equal rights to everyone.

**Photo courtesy of cnn.com