Nurse Nancy, Director of Health Services

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Considering the extreme weather fluctuations lately, it would be no surprise if many collegiettes have been to visit this week’s campus celebrity since returning to campus for spring semester.  In fact, Nancy Hines, MS, RN, more commonly known as “Nurse Nancy,” is busy year-round in the St. Ambrose Health Services office, located in the Rogalski Center.

We are lucky to have her here, as she has many experiences that make her an outstanding resource for collegiettes.  Nurse Nancy received her RN diploma from Franciscan Hospital School of Nursing (now known as Trinity Hospital) in Rock Island in 1976.  She then went on to receive her BSN from the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Nursing – Quad City Regional Program in 1983.  Furthering her education even more, she completed a MS degree in health education from Western Illinois University in 1986.

From there, Nurse Nancy’s career began.  She worked 7 years at Mercy Hospital, which we now know as Genesis West, in critical care.  From 1986-1989, she was also employed at East Moline Correctional Center.  Now, she has become quite comfortable here at Ambrose for the past 29 years.

“It truly is my second home,” Hines said.  “It’s also great to meet the current students of alumni that I knew when they were students at St. Ambrose.  I’m blessed to have the opportunity to be Nurse Nancy for a second generation.”

If collegiettes have health questions or are feeling ill, Nurse Nancy is there for them.  All that is needed is a visit from her, and if necessary, she will provide a referral to a local clinic.

However, Nurse Nancy does much more than just wait around for students to get sick.  She is the Director of Health Services.  This means that she is responsible for the operations and budget of the entire health services department.  As a nurse, she views students as more than just another referral.

“I’m an advocate who respects, supports and assists in the client’s journey to a healthy lifestyle.”

Of course, throughout the nearly three decades of service that Nurse Nancy has given to Ambrose, her roles have fluctuated.   From 1986-1992, she worked as a part-time faculty member in the kinesiology department.  In 1984, she initiated the St. Ambrose Olympics with SGA and the physical education department.  This is something she is particularly proud of.

“I still have the flag in my office.”

Nurse Nancy is still active throughout campus.  She is a part of the wellness programming and services, as well as a member of the Safety Committee.  Additionally, she provides bloodborne pathogen training from time to time.

Meeting and talking with students is one of Nurse Nancy’s favorite parts of the job.  If any collegiette is seeking out health services, she would like you to know a few things.  First, you do not need an appointment and all services offered by Nurse Nancy are free and confidential.  She is able to assess health and make appropriate referrals.  Her office is also loaded with pamphlets, brochures, and information about many health topics, from healthy eating to birth control and pregnancy.

Nurse Nancy is a Davenport native, whose parents both have connections at St. Ambrose and actually met during their time here.  She herself is a wife of 23 years and a mother of two daughters.  She also has two dogs and a guinea pig.

Ambrose has a unique and personal service because of Nurse Nancy.  Her years of loyalty and dedication to our university make her an amazing celebrity.

Mary is a senior at St. Ambrose University majoring in English and journalism. She is originally from Naperville, IL and hopes to one day be back in Chicago. In the past Mary has interned for Sourcebooks, a publishing company in Naperville, and this past year she studied abroad in London and interned at Parliament. She hopes to one day be an editor in publishing at a magazine or at a publishing group like Penguin. Besides being the founding editor of Her Campus St. Ambrose, Mary is also a writing tutor at St. Ambrose. In her free time, she loves to travel, hang out with family and friends, and shop a little bit too much at Gap and J. Crew!