LOVE is in the Mirror!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Whenever a certain holiday comes around the corner, people are reminded of their relationship status, “…in a relationship, it’s complicated, or single.” Especially on Valentine’s Day, people tend to feel more single, or worse about their selves. But why does it have to be like that? Who says you can’t be in love with someone if you aren’t in a relationship. What about the self-love? Isn’t that the most important concept of love?

Someone wise once told me, “You can’t fully love someone else, until you love and accept yourself.” I believe that this philosophy is one-hundred percent true. A part of being human is having insecurity issues. I asked a friend of mine on campus about how she overcomes insecurities in her life. Emily says, “Sometimes I am reminded of my flaws, but I also remember what makes me beautiful as a person. No one is perfect. The flaws make you beautiful.”

Every person is beautiful; every man, every woman.  On holidays like Valentine’s Day, it is easy to feel lonely because someone isn’t giving you chocolates and kisses.  Who needs that to feel loved? Self-love is the most powerful love. As someone who struggles with self-acceptance, I know that this holiday can be a little annoying, but I surround myself by expressing love to others, people who love me, and the amount of love the world has to offer in return. Self-love is a challenge for all, but once a person can accept love, an over-abundance of love can be brought into someone’s life.

Every person must show compassion to their selves. One must be gentle to their soul, this only makes them stronger. Every person must believe that they are good enough, not for others, but themselves. Believe that no one defines a person but an individual defines the way they live out their lives. A person who fully loves their selves first strongly, loves others passionately, contributes humility and kindness, then a person lives to their fullest potential.

You are not invisible. You are a strong, beautiful, compassionate, gentle person. I believe it, do you?

Hi readers! My name is Mary Blesz! I am a sophomore at St. Ambrose University in Davenport, Iowa. I am double majoring in Marketing and Management, with minors in Public Relations and Organizational Leadership! I am involved with Residence Life on campus, and also cannot wait to help with St. Ambrose's Dance Marathon! Helping out the kids is such a fulfilling thing I have done in the past and can't wait to see where this goes! FTK (For the Kids!)When I am not busy with the mountian full of homework I always have, I will normally be seen with all my friends! My friends are great group of people that I have met here at Ambrose! College has opened my eyes to so many new people! It is kind of interesting to me to meet people from all over; like Chicago (lots of my friends are from the area) and even people who loved in the same hometown!!!I have a huge "passion for fashion." I love to see what is most popular, and incorporate the latest trends within my own style. My style has a mixture of what my mood of the day is! One day I can pull out the high-waisted shorts and the crop top and flaunt my ombre hair, and then another day, wear the classic peplum top, with my hair pulled into a fashionable bun! I love reading about the latest trends and expressing it through my own personal style! I hope you enjoy what I can share with you through my own experiences and stories! Enjoy!!!!
Her Campus at SAU