Campus Couples: Johanna Kistner & Kevin Beckett

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Hot and fresh out the kitchen is this week’s Campus Couple, Johanna and Kevin. If you haven’t seen them around campus, odds are you’ve ran into them at Los Agaves. Be ready to learn a bit more about the two who are always down to have a great time!

Her

NameJohanna Kistner

HometownSt. Charles, IL

MajorMarketing and Management

Year: Junior

Campus Involvement: Women’s soccer team, VP of Marketing Club

Him

Name: Kevin Beckett

HometownRockford, IL

MajorBehavioral Neuroscience

Year: Senior

Campus Involvement: Men’s tennis team, men’s golf team, and intramural volleyball

How long have you been together? 

1 year and 5 months

How did you two meet? 

JK: We met at a party, I was playing Remix to Ignition by R.Kelly and I looked up and saw Kevin, and he seemed to be jamming to the song. We made eye contact and I pointed at him with excitement because we both really liked the song. Eventually I went up to him and we started talking about music.

KB: We met at my tennis partner’s house. She played my favorite song and the rest was history. (Remix to Ignition).

First Date? 

JK: Not sure if this counts, but we cooked chicken and peppers and onions together with mozzarella cheese and pesto and some moscato wine ;) I was telling Kevin about how much I like to cook, and he seemed really interested in what I was going to cook.  But our first going out date, probably Los Agaves haha.

KB: We went to Los Agaves with my roommate and his current girlfriend, and to this day it remains one of our favorite date spots.  

How did you two become “official”?

JK: After weeks of talking and getting to know each other I finally gave him the green light to ask me out. Haha. I was at his house and we were hanging out in his basement and he said “Do you want to be my girlfriend?” and I said “YES!”

KB: She came to my house and, despite her playing hard to get, and most definitely NOT dropping any sort of hints, I went for it and made her a very lucky lady.

What attracted you to each other?

JK: For starters let’s talk about that smile! Good looks, smokin bod, great taste in music. When we first started talking he seemed just as interested in me as I was in him. So it didn’t feel like one person was putting in more effort than the other.  

KB: The first thing that attracted me to Johanna was her amazing musical interests.

Favorite memory?

JK: We were celebrating our first Christmas together and he got me this adorable coffee mug that I would always obsess over from this breakfast place called Egg Harbor.

KB: We were watching the Superbowl in 2015, and there ended up being a snow day the next day. We played a pickup game of tackle football with all of our friends and had a great day off of school just chillin out maxin all relaxin all cool.

What’s your biggest pet peeve about one another?

JK: Kevin’s Herbert (from Family Guy) impression from family guy

KB: Jo likes to think she can out eat me, which is a huge mistake. In fact, I once ate my entire stromboli and some of hers, just to prove it to her.

Favorite Date Spot in the QC

JK: Los agaves because we always love to indulge in mexican food.  

KB: Los Agaves is somewhere we can go to eat every week, and often times do just that.

Favorite thing about each other?

JK: Whenever I’m with kev, just his presence alone makes my heart melt. Super cheesy but it’s true. Kevin is one of the most caring thoughtful guys I have ever met, granted he gets on my nerves every now and then but at the end of the day I still love him.

KB: My favorite thing about Jo is how caring she is to me and everyone she encounters.

Long story short, guys & girls: Never be afraid to take charge and play all of those early 2000s throwbacks at a party. It just might score you a date.

I'm Amanda, a junior PR major at St. Ambrose. I enjoy long walks on the beach and queso.
Her Campus at SAU