Building a Better Tomorrow: Celebrating World Habitat Day!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

This week, Habitat for Humanity celebrated its annual World Habitat Day on Monday, Oct 6. Habitat for Humanity is an international volunteer organization whose vision is a world where everyone has a decent place to live. Throughout the world, Habitat brings people together to build homes, communities and hope for a better future. 

St. Ambrose has a very large and very active Habitat for Humanity collegiate chapter on campus that works together with the Quad Cities Habitat throughout the school year. Besides volunteering their Saturdays twice a month on buildsites, members assist with the Habitat ReStore which provides donated furntiure and building materials to the residents of Habitat homes, work at Habitat events in the community such as Mr. and Mrs. Habitat on Oct. 18, and learn critical skills about construction, home maintenance, and working together to accomplish an amazing goal. They also send student groups to various places throughout the country on spring break trips to work at other Habitat build sites. Last year SAU Habitat sent two groups of students on spring break trips – one to Montana and the other to Alabama- to work with other college and volunteer groups on build sites for the week. Ask any of the students who went – they’ll all tell you they had a blast!

If you are interested in joining SAU Habitat, like them on Facebook here! 

Images from Habitat.org

Her Campus at SAU