Bangin’ Businesswear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

College is the only place you can wear a 50 cent hoodie from Salvation Army, leggings that probably shouldn’t pass as pants, and boots that make you look like a space cadet/Napoleon Dynamite.

Notice, please, that the first sentence there says place, not time. And, like any rule, it has its exceptions.

As graduation/internships/the need to make summer money rapidly approaches, it’s highly likely that you, my friend, are going to have to learn how to make yourself look good to the outside world.

This scary outside world is, unfortunately, not so fond of your salt-stained Ugg boots, or even your nicest sweatshirt from the bookstore—even if there’s a North Face vest on top of it.  This scary outside world is the real world, and they want you to wear real clothes.

Eep.

Reality is, not every job is going to require you to dress business professional every single day. BUT, there will certainly be times (and some of them very soon) that will require you to dress to impress.

This impression is not made by skintight black jeans and that SUPER EXPENSIVE top from Express that you can see right through—but it’s business wear because it’s Express.

I’m talking full on, business attire—fitted, but not too fitted, slacks, a flattering, modest top, and maybe even a jacket.  Here are a few tips, followed by an example of a suitable business outfit:

1. Again, club attire is not business attire.

2. Your skirt should cover your thighs when you sit.

3. Stick with neutrals—brown, black, grey, navy, or maroon.

4. Use jewelry to add personality, but be cautious not to go overboard.

5. Keep makeup simple and subdued—not distracting.

Above all, remember two things:

1) Dressing up can be fun! Use it as a way to express yourself. Look good, feel good, I (people) always say.

2) You can always come home and look like this at the end of the day.

PS- Pants totally optional.

I'm Maddi(son). I like to talk, laugh, and eat cake and peanut butter in copious amounts. Call me maybe. 
Her Campus at SAU