5 Low-Key Restaurants You’ll Love in the QC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

We’ve only been back for a few weeks and I’m sure you are all tired of our whopping two options on campus. This is a new year. Go out and venture farther into the Quad Cities than 3rd street. Since the QC will be your home for the next however many years, it’s about time you broaden your horizons. Check out these 5 locally owned restaurants in our community. Your taste buds will thank me later.

1. La Finca

La Finca is the ultimate trifecta. Located at 916 W 2nd St, Davenport, IA 52802, this restaurant, grocery store, and butcher shop is all in one. Check this place out for some seriously mouth-watering Mexican food. This restaurant prides in its authenticity, so one foot in those doors and you’ll feel like you’re in Mexico. And once you try its food, you’ll be on the La Finca > Azteca bandwagon, too! La Finca offers different specials every day of the week. I recommend heading there next Taco Tuesday, where tacos are only $1 each (Side note: the chorizo tacos are out of this world). I can’t give away all the surprises, so head to La Finca and try it out for yourself!

2. Olive Tree Café

If you’ve never tried Greek or Mediterranean food, now’s your opportunity! With the recent addition of a new location (Davenport: 1414 W Locust St, Davenport, IA 52803; Bettendorf: 2513 53rd Ave, Bettendorf, IA 52722), it’s definitely becoming a popular spot! The food is not only healthy, but the portions get you the bang for your buck! The atmosphere is cozy and zen, so head to the Olive Tree Café to unwind with nutritious food. I recommend the Tabbouleh, which comes with a side of fresh pita bread. But the options are endless, so do yourself a favor and check them out!

3. Jimmy’s Pancake House

Raise your hand if you want breakfast 25/8! Seriously, Jimmy’s Pancake House is the best breakfast joint in town. Unfortunately it’s not open all hours of the day, but head there from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. any day of the week to cure the ultimate breakfast cravings. While it’s located in Bettendorf (2521 18th St, Bettendorf, IA, 52722), it’s worth the drive. From my favorite coffee to my favorite waitresses in town, this place will not disappoint you. I recommend the Farmer’s omelet, which includes a side of toast or pancakes. But no matter what you try, you’ll be hooked guaranteed. 

4. Mantra

Mantra is the only Indian restaurant on the Iowa-side of the river in the QC, so definitely take a leap and try this place. It’s decked in beautiful Indian design and details, but the food is even more impressive. The restaurant encourages lunch/dinner to be family style, so it’s cost effective for us collegiates! Be warned, if you’re sensitive to spicy food, be sure to remind your waiter/waitress that you can’t even handle “mild” spices. I recommend trying the Curry Chicken, which comes with seasoned rice, perfect for two or three friends to share. 

5. Lagomarinco’s

For all of you with a sweet tooth, I got you. Lagomarinco’s is one of the many cute, family-owned stores located in the East Village of Davenport (2132 11th St, Davenport, IA 52803). This place is also a slight ways from campus, but there’s tons to offer in the area, too. Before you do your exploring, stop into Lago’s for a sweet treat. They make all of their own chocolates and ice cream, but their fudge is to die for! With ridiculous, trademark sundaes, these special treats are worth a try. My favorite is the traditional hot fudge sundae, a classic dessert that just tastes better at Lago’s. 

Take a step out of your comfort zone and try these 5 local restaurants! The QC has plenty to offer, including these places that’ll surely broaden your taste buds. Grab a friend and take a small adventure to try something new. You won’t regret it! 

Photos Courtesy of Google Reviews and Christine La

Her Campus at SAU