10 Things All Ambrosians Should Do at Least Once

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

No college or university is exactly the same, and each one has something different to offer. Despite being a small, private college in the middle of nowhere, SAU still has its perks. Here is a list of 10 things that all Ambrosians should do at least once in order to get the full Ambrose experience.

1. Take a picture by the St. Ambrose University Sign

Whether your parents force you to pose by it on move-in day or you and your group of friends are looking extra hot, taking a picture by the St. Ambrose sign is a must. While they may seem cheesy and basic at the time, in ten years, you’ll be glad you have them. Plus, if you didn’t take a picture by the sign, did you even go to SAU?

2. Go to Rookies

It’s the place that Ambrosians have talked about for years. It’s the man (bar), the myth and the legend. Whether it’s for Wednesday night’s dollar bottles or Saturday morning kegs n’ eggs, SAU students should stop by Rookies at least once. Plus, they have great deals on burger baskets, so even if you’re not 21, you can still join in on the fun.

3. Experience Last Blast

While major changes have been made to Last Blast within the last few years, it’s definitely something that all Ambrose students should experience at least once. Take a short break from the stress of homework, projects and finals, and just have fun. As an added bonus, students make some pretty cool shirts for the weekend-long event too.

4. Go to an SAU Sporting Event

What Ambrose lacks in school spirit is made up by in athletic talent. Seriously guys, we have some pretty successful teams and athletes here. With more than 20 different sports teams here, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. Even if sports aren’t necessarily your thing, Modern Woodmen Park looks beautiful on a warm, spring afternoon, and there’s nothing quite like a nerve-racking volleyball game in Lee Lohman. 

5. Hug Cliff

If you’ve spent even a slight amount of time at Ambrose, you’ll know who I’m talking about. Not only is Cliff a good cafeteria worker, but he’s also one of the nicest guys you could ever meet – who also gives the greatest hugs you could ever receive. A hug from Cliff can turn any crappy Monday into a day full of rainbows and butterflies.

6. Experience Nugget Day

SAU students only need to hear two words to turn their day around: Nugget Day. Visit the cafe on this special day to enjoy all of the chicken nuggets you could ever wish for. Pick the right time though, or you’ll be stuck waiting in the never-ending line.

7. Get a Parking Ticket

Whether you parked your car in Zone 1 real fast to unload groceries or made your own parking spot when the lot was full, getting an SAU parking ticket is a standard procedure in becoming a true Ambrosian. While security is often seen as the devil for doing so, they’re just doing their job. Plus, do you even go to Ambrose if you’ve never received a parking ticket?

8. Delete your Email Inbox

As Ambrosians, we all know that we receive crazy amounts of emails. I’m talking like an insane amount of emails. Whether it’s the end of a semester or the end of your four years at SAU, take the time to delete your entire inbox. It’s like a 50 pound weight lifted off of your shoulders.

9. Take a Walk through Vander Veer Park

Although Davenport, IA doesn’t rank as one of the safest places in the United States, it’s still important that you explore the city. With Vander Veer only being steps away from campus, it’s a match made in heaven. Take a few hours of your day to explore everything that Vander Veer has to offer. Feed the ducks, smell the roses and spend some quality time with those closest to you.

10. Find your Lifelong Friends

College is (usually) only four years, but during that time, you’re bound to meet friends who are going to stay in your life forever. With Ambrose being such a small, close-knit school, it’s easy to find people who are just like you. Who else will you be able to share all of your bee puns with 20 years from now?

All images found through Google Images.

I'm Amanda, a junior PR major at St. Ambrose. I enjoy long walks on the beach and queso.
Her Campus at SAU