Your Roommate “Borrowed” (Stole) Your Closet!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

All in all, we know stealing is wrong. You can be put in jail for theft and can be placed on your record forever! Anyone would feel violated, hurt, and pissed off if he or she were the victim of it. But what if your thief was your own…roommate? Things would be missing in your closet that you don’t notice they were taken until you start to shred through your closet, looking nonstop and telling yourself you are not crazy, it’s in there. Well…it’s not. Your roommate took your floral shirt, your brand new sandals, and you would never have noticed until you sought for it.

You can understand why things are “borrowed” (your outfits are to die for), but should it be okay when things are taken and you would not have noticed until it smacks you in your face (Ow!) that it’s gone? And your culprit is your roommate?! You start to regret having the same body frame and shoe size. There might have been a time when she and you borrowed things from each other, but that was school supplies, not clothes! Maybe there was a jacket you borrowed when you realized it’s no fun looking good while cold. But you asked! When the tables are turned…it sucks! So, when you go up to her and ask whether she has it, you get the classic “Oh yeah, um, sorry about that. I didn’t think you would need it. I mean, you never wore it.” And your response for that answer varies from “Seriously?” to “Ugh…it’s fine.” But in your head, you’re planning on ways to hide your favorite items and lock your stuff up, while being tempted to place a sign on your closet door saying “Keep out! You know who you are…”

So, what is the best way of dealing with this? Drum role please… Speak up! Talk to her! Tell her she is welcomed (maybe) to borrow your blouse or shoes, but with these conditions first…

1. Ask!
  2. If it gets damaged, she pays for it. (Don’t fall for the excuse of “It was already like that.”)
  3. This is an advice for you: Hide your favorite pieces (most of the time, it’s the first one gone).
  4. Tell her to return it to you when she’s done! Unless you’re okay with her keeping it…forever.

The most important thing is to talk to her and let her know. But if you don’t want her near your items anymore, the best thing to do is to let her know…nicely. Being up front with your dilemma may cause annoyance, animosity, anger, and the grunt, “Argh, seriously?” But it’s better to handle the dilemma instead of letting it fester. You don’t want to ruin a friendship (if there is any) over clothes…right?

Photo source: 

http://www.sheknows.com/home-and-gardening/articles/979647/purge-your-cl…

http://singlemindedwomen.com/womens-fashion-tips/fashion-beauty-advice-m…

Sade Browne

San Francisco

Sade Browne is majoring in Broadcast and Electronic Communication Arts. She is a very enthusiastic and down-to-earth person. She is a fan of fashion, music, food, and reading. She loves getting to know people and has a curious mind to find things out that interest her.