Scare Grove at Stern Grove

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Friday October 24, 2014

Do you love outdoor events? What about Halloween? How about outdoor events relating to Halloween!?

Well if you didn’t already know, the San Francisco Recreation and Parks Services hosted its annual “Scare Grove Festival” at Sigmund Stern Recreation Grove on Sloat Boulevard and 19th Avenue.

Admission to the event was eight dollars for adults and free for children under the age of two. The event started at 3:00 pm sharp but we volunteers had to arrive at 2 pm to check in, follow the map and go to our assigned station(s). Due to the overstaff of volunteers working the event, multiple people alternated postions throughout the whole night so people couldn’t be over crowded. Seeing as how my friend and I were assigned to the haunted house we needed a bit more extra time as oppsed to the other volunteers to change into our costumes and get our makeup done as well.

(Pictured: Myself (Nancy Delgado) on the left and Celine Serrano on the right taking a break after four hours of scaring mumltiple people) 

For those that did not attend the event, many different activities took place, such as: hay rides, the haunted houses and one being more PG than the other, the eerie grave yard were zombies and monsters would chase after you, face painting stations, arts and crafts stations for small children, and live music performances. Overall the entire festival was a hit and according to Brenda Cartagena, the volunteer/outreach coordinator for SF Rec and Parks stated that we had almost 200 volunteers this year as opposed to the initial goal of 70. Therefore, everyone can say that the festival was a real good turn out this year and I would definitively recommend attending any of the future events San Francisco Recreations and Parks has to offer. Check out their website at sfrecpark.org 

(DIY blood splatter wripped jeans make with red food coloring and nail polish)

Nancy Delgado

San Francisco

My name is Nancy Delgado!I am a Recreation Parks and Tourims Administration Major at San Francisco State Univeristy and I am the next Leslie Knope