My Freshman Year Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Freshman year is coming to a close with finals just around the corner. So what better opportunity to talk about the ups and downs that happened during this year. Get a glimpse of SFSU through my eyes.

It’s honestly surreal to say that I am done with my first year of attending a university. I see the high school students who attend the tour days at SF and smile because I don’t have to worry about getting accepted anymore. If you are planning to attend San Francisco State, I hope I can be of some help for you.

Goodbye High School, Hello SFSU!

As Fall came around I was in a state of mixed emotions. I didn’t know if I was excited or nervous or frightened. I am the first person in my family to go to a University so I had no idea what to expect. I didn’t have a guide to tell me what I should do or where I should go. Nonetheless, I knew I couldn’t be shy so on the first day, I tattooed my schedule with a pen on my hand and held a map of the school as if it were my floaty. Whenever I had a question I would ask my classmates (which was also a great way to socialize). Within a few weeks I met one of my best friends. It is so easy to make friends in college. I didn’t know anyone from my high school  who went to SFSU so I felt like I was all alone. Like maybe I wouldn’t make any friends but it’s crazy how nice people are in college.

For my first semester I decided to focus on my academics rather than join sports because I wasn’t sure about the stress or pressure that I was going to get into. As a commuter I soon realized that it’s hard to join clubs or sports because of the time management. I don’t like knowing that instead of taking me 10 minutes to get home it takes me an hour. I also don’t like getting home after the sun sets. The BART ride feels really depressing without sunshine. Don’t get me wrong, taking BART could be really cool too. It’s great for the environment; it makes me feel like a real grown up and there are really cute guys that get on from time to time. I’m a strong believer that things happen for a reason so yeah, I couldn’t join the cheer team or the volleyball team, but I got straight A’s in all my classes and that is a great feeling.

So is the freshman 15 real? I would say it is somewhat true. SFSU offers some amazing food that is big in portion and fattening. Yet there are some places where you can get a salad or a sandwich. Personally I love Natural Sensations to the moon and back! They have incredible smoothies. Did I gain 15 pounds though? No, I did in fact gain a few pounds but nothing major. It was my wallet who got skinnier.

Soon enough Fall was done and around came Spring. Fall gave me some great friends and taught me to deal with stress. I came in to San Francisco undeclared so I was pretty stressed out about what major I should choose. I knew I wanted to do something that allowed me to express myself and I’m a creative person. Also, I am bad at math so anything that has to do with math is a big NO! It’s pretty ironic because at one point I wanted to be a marine biologist. Anyway, college is where you truly find yourself. High school is a big farce. College is the time when you depend on yourself, the time when the person affecting you is you, and the time where your actions affect you. In Spring I found Her Campus and it was meant to be. It worked with my schedule perfectly. My co-bloggers are honestly some of the best girls out there. If you are worried that you won’t find something that fits you then let me tell you that you WILL find that club, organization, sport, sorority, fraternity, in which you belong to. That’s the beauty about SFSU. They have a million clubs! Okay, maybe not that many but there are a lot.

But… But…. What about the parties and the clubs? It is inevitable to not attend a club/party during your freshman year. I thought there wasn’t such a huge party scene in SF but oh boy! You will hear about them.

As far as classes go, they have been manageable. I haven’t ripped out my hair. Spring semester has definitely been easier than Fall. Just last month the weather in San Francisco was extremely beautiful so my marine biology professor assigned us to go to the beach instead of class. Best professor ever!

I gotta say that just like Asher Roth, I love college. Highschool for me were not the best years of my life. I have had some low lows but nothing that can’t be resolved. The best way to commence college is by keeping an open mind. Be a positive person and get informed about what is going on. Don’t pressure yourself into getting to the best sorority or following those college movies. I haven’t attended a sporting game yet and school is almost over. Not stressing it though.

Good luck for those who graduated college and for those who are barely starting out.

Onto the next year!

xoxoxo

Jessica Romero

San Francisco

Hey Ladies! My Name is Jessica Romero (: I love the beach, the outdoors, sunsets and clothes! ♥ My intended major is ADM and minor in Journalism. Follow your dreams and empower others to pursue theirs!