Madhu Kottalam, Jewelry Designer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Q: Where did you learn to make jewelry and what drove you to launch it into a full-fledged business as a college student?

I learned to make jewelry almost completely on my own. When I was 11, my mom took me to a class at Michael’s where I learned how to finish the ends of beaded pieces by crimping and adding clasps. Other than that, it was mostly just books, the internet, and figuring things out!

I wanted to start a business because I wanted to share my designs with others and it’s such an amazing feeling when someone loves your artwork or wants to give it as a gift to someone!

Q: What inspires your jewelry pieces?

I’m mostly inspired by nature, Indian culture, and the amazing colors I see everywhere around me.

Q: How did you create your business and website?

I really don’t know anything about graphic design or building websites, but my brother told me that there were various sites with drag-and-drop editors or templates that I could build from, so that is what I did! The hardest part was choosing a name, but I finally settled on Kala Jewelry because it was short, memorable, and easy to spell. It’s also part of my mom’s name and means “art” in Sanskrit.

Q: What are some of your favorite pieces you’ve created?

My favorite pieces that are currently listed on the website are the Kolam necklaces. They’re delicate but interesting, have a pop of color, and were inspired by something unique about my culture! But I have so many other things in my sketchbook right now that are being made and not yet on the website. The newest thing I make almost always becomes my favorite!

Q: What’s your business strategy as a young entrepreneur? What advice would you give to other college students to start their own business?

To be honest, I am still trying to figure out the business end of things because I have never studied business. The only business advice I can give right now is to be honest and open about your product or services, and think about what makes you and your brand unique (and own it!). And of course, make sure to do it because you really love it, and not because you’re trying to make a quick buck or two. It will really show in the quality of your work and in the way you present your work to others.

Right now, I’m working on building my line, and getting a lot of pieces ready so I can try to get my work selling in some local shops for the holidays!

Madhu, second from the right, and three of her jewelry models!

You can see more and shop Madhu’s beautiful jewelry at her website Kala Jewelry, plus on the Kala Jewelry Facebook page and her Instagram @madhukottalam

Photo Credit: Marie-Pier Frigon

Nena Farrell

San Francisco

Nena Farrell is a senior journalism student at SFSU who masters in copy editing, career writing and celeb articles. An avid tea drinker and religious studies minor, she hopes to take her numerous journalism internships and experiences as a newspaper copy editor and Campus Correspondent to move forward into the world of editing and public relations. She's a native Californian who's lived from Sonoma to San Francisco — with a few years in Hawaii to boot! Follow her on Instagram and Twitter at @thenenja, and check out her blog for more of her work at thenenja.com