Life Is Sweeter With San Francisco’s Museum of Ice Cream

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Cotton candy colored rooms. A pool of sprinkles complete with beach balls. Confection like no other.

In a nutshell, the Museum of Ice Cream (MOIC) not only brings your sense of childhood wonder back to you, but also everything possible from your imagination all in 45 minutes – all with a little help of ice cream.

“The only thing we ask in here is that you guys check your adult selves out the door and in here, get that childhood persona back on,” said one MOIC employee.

Similar to a real life version of Katy Perry’s fantasy world of “California Gurls,” the MOIC is an interactive museum that celebrates all things sweet. Not only does it go through the history of ice cream, but each room is an individual experience and sometimes comes along with a free treat (and cute photo-ops for the ‘gram).

This specific location has been so popular, that people have been scrambling to find tickets. The MOIC was originally supposed to stay open in SF for a coupel of months, but ended up extending their sweet stay in the city until February of 2018. 

“[The] Museum of Ice Cream is dedicated to confronting convention and embracing our individuality,” said founder Maryellis Bunn. “Through the power of ice cream as an agent of imagination and unity, [MOIC] challenges the traditional and looks to ice cream objects to question complexity and rejoice in the simple pleasures.

Unlike the other MOIC museums (which are located in NY, LA, and now in San Francisco), the SF location adds its own twist and taste on the familiar spots seen from previous exhibits at the MOIC. Some of the famous exhibits such as the Sprinkle Pool, swings, and other delicious sights were designed a little bit differently than previous locations. 

Even a whole new room is dedicated to the city of San Francisco, celebrating its unique diversity and inclusiveness. 

Tickets for admission to visit the MOIC from November to February can be found on https://www.museumoficecream.com/san-francisco/.

Check out one of our other chapter’s coverage of the MOIC! 

University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) 

All photos were provided by the author and Campus Correspondent, Celine Herrera.