Leaving Their Hearts in San Francisco: Record Number of Freshmen Enrolled at SF State for the New Academic Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

On the first day of the semester, new students thronged the halls and pathways on campus and for the first time San Francisco State University has experienced a record of having the largest incoming freshmen class in the school’s history.

The rise in population of new students is due to the fact that over 34,00 people applied to SF State for the Fall 2015 semester and over 20,000 freshmen were admitted, along with 12,546 transfer students, according to an article in the Golden Gate Express. But why the sudden jump from last year’s applicants total of 31,980 in Fall 2014, to almost 35,000? Well let’s just say that SF State has a certain allure and appeal to prospective students. For many, SF State is the perfect distance from home, not too far away, and not to close. And for others the demeanor of the city is quite appealing.

Sasha Presley, 18, is a freshman here at SF State, and she said she chose to make SF State her home for the next four years because she loves San Francisco itself. Coming from the small town of Paulette Pines, California, the open-minded feel of San Francisco and its friendly people, is what drew here to accept her admission to SF State. Many of the school’s programs such as dance and journalism also drew her to the home of the gators, since she is a declared dance major and is interested in the extensive journalism program here at SF State. As for the four years ahead, Sasha is most excited for her classes and what she can learn from them. She said she enjoys the material and feels like the learning is more in depth compared to high school. She also looks forward to exploring the city.

As for Devina Do, a business management major, (and freshman) she decided on SF State because it offered a good location, just far enough away from home. Another contributing factor for her choice of SF State is that “They have a good business program.” Do said. She is especially excited about being more independent and embracing the fact that she’s on her own.

So even though the halls and pathways around campus may be a little bit more crowded, and more susceptible to traffic jams, it is nice to know that SF State and “the city by the bay” still has a magical attraction to it, that brings a diverse array of people to the SF State community.

I'm a Sophomore at San Francisco State University majoring in Journalism. I went to San Marin High in Marin County, Novato, and was attracted to Journalism there too. I wrote for the school newspaper, 'The Pony Express' for two years and also enjoy reading, and shopping.