Why I Get to Know My Professors and You Should Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Professors are normal people just like you and me. Sometimes that is easy to forget regardless of whether their lectures make you feel like your mind is receiving the golden knowledge of the gods, or they put you to sleep faster than your mothers old lullaby used to.

Your professor may hold the key to moving you forward in getting your degree, they may have a PHD, and they may intimidate you like no other. But from my experience, I have found professors can be pretty awkward and introverted when they do not have a session plan in front of them. Establishing a relationship with your professor makes your course experience better and helps you realize professors are normal people with emotions, thoughts, and vices like everybody else.

Each semester I establish a relationship of some kind with each of my professors. Obviously, some are more meaningful than others. There are several advantages to doing this beyond increasing the chances of them fluffing your grade. For one thing, if you ever need a letter of recommendation for a future job or internship, you have lots of options.

Professors who got to know you, and saw the you take charge and responsibility for their course work write outstanding letters of recommendation. Next, connecting with your professor is a form of networking. If a professor knows you, and they happen to need research assistance or hear of an interesting job opportunity for college students, they are more likely to have you in mind and let you know about it.

Finally, getting to know your professor can result in finding a great mentor and lifelong friend. Sometimes, professors are wise beyond the subject they are teaching. They can often offer advice and help you in a time of need. Having someone in college to go to for career, personal, or academic advice is absolutely priceless.

Try getting to know your professor with these easy steps:

Step 1: At the end of the first day of class, walk up and introduce yourself to the professor. I make a point to do this at the beginning of every semester. The interaction usually consists of “Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself again”, shaking their hand, and telling them something along the lines of “I’m really looking forward to the course” or “I am nervous about the course load, but am ready to work hard”. Just be honest. In most cases, the professor will remember your name for the rest of the semester because this small action makes you stand out and shows you care about the course work.

Step 2: Participate in lecture. If you are an extrovert, this step is no problem. Share your ideas and ask questions. If you are an introvert, you can follow this step by simply looking engaged during class and taking notes. You can also approach the professor after class with any questions you have, but did not want to ask in front of everyone (just make sure you write down the questions so you do not forget them).

Step 3: Email your professor when things are unclear. Your first email should explain who you are and what class/section you are in. Emailing your professor to clarify directions shows responsibility.

Step 4: If you get along well with your professor ask if they would want to get coffee with you to chat. Here at Salisbury, you can get a coupon that provides both you and your professor with free cups of Chesapeake Bay Roasting Company coffee. Coupons are available upon request in the Center for Student Achievement (second floor of Academic Commons).

Step 5: At the end of the semester, thank your professor. This often means a lot to them and once again, sets you apart from the others.

Nicole is an Environmental Studies and Economics double major at Salisbury University who is passionate about animal rights. She strongly believes in the benefits of a minimalistic plant-based lifestyle. She is on a journey to self love and minimalism and is excited to share her progress and advice along the way. Finally, she is dedicated to yoga and running as forms of stress relief and confidence boosting. All her passions and lifestyle choices come back to her deeply rooted love for animals. Nicole believes showing compassion truly manifests itself in beautiful and positive ways in life. She is prepared to share with you the means of achieving a more meaningful, compassionate, and joyful life with her articles.
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.