Salisbury University’s October Pick: Luisa Samayoa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Luisa Samayoa is a sophomore at Salisbury University majoring in nursing with a deep passion for makeup. She is originally from Guatemala, but came to the states at the age of 3 and settled down in Fredrick, Maryland. Samayoa is a self-taught makeup artist and YouTuber. Recently I had the chance to sit down with her, and ask her a couple of questions.

HC: What made you get into makeup?

LS: I started getting into makeup my Junior year of high school. I would watch videos on social media and was like “Oh I like doing that!” so I just tried it out myself. Also my cousin is actually really good at makeup, and I asked her “How do you do that?” but she never really showed me so I just started practicing myself. 

HC: How did you get started on YouTube?

LS: Well everyone has been telling me to start my own YouTube channel, but I’ve just been too scared because I felt as though I wasn’t good enough. So one day I was like I’ll just do it. I got one of my friends who is really good at editing and shooting videos to help me as well. I get the ideas for my videos from what is trending and popular at the moment.

HC: What is your favorite makeup trend at the moment?

LC: Definitely the highlight and bold lip! I feel like these trends will definitely go into the next year, and are here to stay.

HC: What are your top three makeup products?

LC: My Tarte shape tape concealer, Fenty trophy wife highlighter, and a clear gloss.

HC: Who would you say are your style icons?

LC: I would have to say Desi Perkins she’s a YouTube star that does style and everything.

HC: How would you define your personal style?

LC: For makeup I would definitely go for the natural beat. When I want to go like crazy I’ll do bold stuff but, I really like going for the natural look. My personal style I go for very casual, laid back style. But when I’m going out I like to really pop out, and take risks.

HC: What has been your biggest accomplishment thus far?

LC: Well I got my business together, and started doing makeup on the side. For example, I do makeup for homecoming, weddings. I really want to get my business out in the Salisbury area so I’m trying to book a photoshoot of the different makeup styles I can create. It is currently in the works.

HC: What can we expect from Luisa Samayoa in the future?

LC: In the future I definitely want to be in the medical field so I see myself as a nurse. However, I want to continue doing makeup on the side because, I do love it. So I’d say in the future I want to balance both.

To keep updated with Luisa you can follow all of her social media links here:

YouTube: Luisa Samayoa

Personal Instagram: luisa_samayoaa

Makeup Instagram: itsbeautybyluisa

Twitter: luisa_samayoaa

Snapchat: luisa_samayoaa

Hey guys! Bobbi Amar-Atsen is a graduate of Salisbury University with a Bachelors in Business Management and a concentration in Human Resources. When she is not binge watching Black Mirror or The Get Down she is reading a Thousand Splendid Suns by Hosseini (again) and taking long meaningful walks to her fridge. In her spare time she enjoys taking photographs of the beautiful people, and scenery around her. In the future she hopes to open up her own nonprofit organization in Ghana and work for a large company. She joined Her Campus Salisbury to gain more experience with writing, and connect with other empowering women.
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.