No Horror Story, Just Her Story: Sarah Paulson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Born: December 17, 1974 in Tampa, Florida.                                                         

Career:

Paulson’s early career saw her in television shows like America Gothic and Jack and Jill. More recently her career and notoriety has risen with her performance in 12 Years a Slave, Carol, American Horror Story, and American Crime Story. The People v. O.J. Simpson. These character portrayals both fiction and non-fiction, with characters like Marcia Clark as well in movies that explore socially important topics like racism and homophobia have allowed Paulson to prove herself worthy as an actress.

Awards:

Throughout her career, Paulson has had twenty-one wins and twenty-nine nominations. Her more notable wins include a Golden Globe for Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series, a Primetime Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series, and a Black Film Critics Circle Award for Best Ensemble in 12 Years a Slave. Her notable nominations include Golden Globes, Saturn Award, and Critic’s Choice Television Award.

Personal Life:

Sarah Paulson has never married and has no children. She is currently dating fellow actress Holland Taylor and has been publicly criticized for doing so as Taylor is 32 years her senior. Paulson has said “there’s a poignancy to being with someone older” and “what I can say absolutely is that I am in love, and that person happens to be Holland Taylor.” Paulson has repeatedly said in interviews that she will not label her sexuality but that she has dated both men and women, and sees herself as more “fluid.”

Notable Quotes:

To not have any hope is where things start to get really bleak. Things are possible. The impossible can be possible.”

“I have a lisp. I’m in love with this woman and she love me. And she loves my teeth. She loves the very thing that people used to make fun of me for.” 

Kaitlyn

Salisbury '23

Kaitlyn is a a dynamic communications professional with a passion for writing, strategic marketing, and creative video production. She graduated from the Maryland Institute College of Art with a Master's Degree in Filmmaking in 2023. Her writing there focused on documentary, narrative, and fiction work. She also graduated from Salisbury University with degrees in Communications, English, and Linguistics. Kaitlyn has devoted her professional and personal life to public service and bettering the lives of others through her skills. In her free time she enjoys traveling and spending time with her cats.
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.