My Favorite Dresses From The 2018 Met Gala

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

2018’s Met Gala was surely an unforgettable one full of celebrities wearing extravagant and colorful attire. The theme was centered in “Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination.”

Due to the theme being religious in nature, many of the outfits worn wore met with criticism and some even labelled them downright blasphemous. Rihanna’s dress being a prime example as she wore a heavily jeweled bishop gown-based dress, which was nonetheless very glamourous and elegant, albeit over the top.

Here are some of my favorite outfits of the event and why.

SZA:

My absolute favorite outfit of the Gala was that of R&B singer and songwriter SZA. Her lavender/pink ball gown was one of the more subtle dresses at the event and I really appreciated that.

The soft hue of the dress gives her a very demure and pleasant look and the halo and embroidery on the dress give her a regal and angelic aesthetic. To me, she really did look like a Disney princess come to life.

Solange:

Singer Solange’s outfit dress gave me somewhat of a sci-fi and Afro-futuristic feel as the leathery material, majority black color scheme and metallic silver jewelry made it look like something from a Blade Runner or Matrix movie.

While the inclusion durag and cape which has the words “My God Wears A Durag” gives it a more afro-centric feel and is clever as it subverts the normative trope of divinity being represented using more European looking figures. This was honestly a close second for me as it has a very provocative message underlying it.

Zoë Kravitz:

Actress Zoe Kravitz’s dress was one of the simpler dresses, even more so than SZA’s, but in no way is that a disadvantage. In fact, the subtlety only adds to the elegance and refinement that her dress emits.

It also has a more gothic and Victorian style to it which I really appreciate, as I am fond of both styles of fashion and art. The simplicity accentuates her beauty rather than undermines or serves as a distraction, especially since some of the outfits seemed a bit too grandiose to be appreciated.

Jeanie Amara is currently attend Salisbury University and her major is Graphic Design. She would like to work on an animation team as her dream career. An interesting fact about her is that she is bilingual in Spanish and is able to create videos using Adobe premiere.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.