timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Jessie Reyez: Raw and Real Originality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Jessica Reyez, more famously known as Jessie Reyez, is a Canadian singer-songwriter who is making a name for herself. She was born on June 12, 1991 to Colombian parents who she features on her EP “Kiddo” in a skit called “Colombian King & Queen.” Jessie’s career really started in 2014 when she released a joint single with King Louie titled “Living in the Sky.”

In 2016, she released he first two singles, “Shutter Island” and “Figures” which put her on the map when “Figures” reached number 74 on the Canadian Billboard Top 100. “Figures” is an intimate, unapologetic song questioning what her significant other would do if they lost her due to their infidelity. Her pain is so tangible in the song that it makes it easier for the audience to connect to her.

In April 2017, she released her EP “Kiddo” and a short film “Gatekeeper.” “Gatekeeper” is also a song on the EP and in my opinion, is the most powerful song on there. The song and short film depict the story of her first encounter with a major producer. Instead of being offered an opportunity, she was manipulated into thinking that she was not going to make it in the industry because she refused to sleep with the producer.

Reyez is honest about her journey to become the singer she is and reveals the dark side of the music industry that most do not dare to talk about.

Jessie’s style is natural, raw, and honest. Throughout her trajectory she has not compromised her music or who she is for commercial purposes. This is one of the many things that attracts her following and it is something that makes her stand out against the rest.

In a society full of unoriginality, she is the one person who stays true to her art and self. Her lyrics and are not sugar coated. She wants to be honest with her listeners and not hide her experiences since they have shaped her to be the artist she is today. Even now that she has gained more recognition, she has been able to remain humble and it has not let her deviate her from making her music be meaningful and full of substance.

Even though her success has been slow, her music will continue to reach people all over because it has the power to reach those who want to hear her truth. 

I'm a student at Salisbury University studying to major in Medical Laboratory with hopes of going into the Forensic field. I love my Puggle named Bruno and am blessed to have a great group of friends.
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.