Welcome Back Internship Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

It’s that time of year again. Let the talk of internships begin. I remember dreading this process last fall. There was nothing I wanted to avoid more than updating my resume and researching company after company (ha, funny how history repeats itself, looks like this is what I’m doing with job searching this fall).

Some piece of advice to you is to trust the process. Things always work out, but don’t feel bad if your friends are being offered positions and you’re still waiting to hear back. Each company works on their own timeline, so some might hire prior to the new year, some might wait until the spring. Oh and another thing, the statement “It’s who you know” is 100% accurate. That’s how I got scored my internship! Reach out to family, friends, alumnae, really anyone you might have a connection to, they’ll want to help! 

This summer I had the privilege of living in a new city and interning at a Sports and Entertainment Company. I was given so many opportunities, ranging from working the Grand Prix, the LPGA, Detroit Tigers games, traveling to promote new businesses, working in direct contact with clients, helping with a high school basketball program, and so many more. And with all of these opportunities, I learned a lot. I learned what I like, face to face client interaction, and what I don’t like, sitting in an office. I learned how to find yet another home. And I also learned how often I use the phrase “Let go and let God”.

Entering the professional world is completely different (and completely nerve-racking) compared to your day to day class life. Don’t start to panic though, whoever you end up working for knows this, and they want to help with your transition. I cannot tell you the amount of times I was asked to do something this summer that had me so far out of my comfort zone. But you learn that as long as you try (and ask questions!), people will notice and they’ll appreciate it.

So if you’re anything like me and anxious about moving to a new place and starting a new job, remember what got you to where you are today. Hard work and support will carry you and I promise it won’t be so bad. And have fun during this process, whether it’s researching companies or preparing for interviews, your stress level will decrease if you enjoy it. Happy internship hunting, you’ve got this!

Allie Royce

Saint Mary's '18

Hope you find my work relatable and humorous.