One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor…What is Your Limit?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Among the highly anticipated first weekend back at college and all of the 21st birthday celebrations it can be easy to get swept away trying to keep up with everyone else when it comes to drinking alcohol. It’s fun to go out with your friends but let’s face it, no one wants to be “that girl” at a party.  Just because everyone else is drinking a lot doesn’t mean you have to too. And let’s not forget, even though your friends might be 21, you cannot drink alcohol until you turn 21 too. If you are 21, in order to stay healthy and safe this fall semester it’s good to know your limits and stick to them while still having a fun weekend out.  If you’re of age and you do choose to drink, here are some important facts to keep in the back of your mind when you are thinking about having just one more drink.

According to the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention, a standard drink is equal to 14.0 grams (0.6 ounces) of pure alcohol. Generally, this amount of pure alcohol is found in:

• 12-ounces of beer (5% alcohol content).
  • 8-ounces of malt liquor (7% alcohol content).
  • 5-ounces of wine (12% alcohol content).
  • 1.5-ounces, or a “shot” of 80-proof (40% alcohol content) distilled spirits or liquor  (gin, rum, vodka, whiskey).

Also, One 12-ounce beer has about the same amount of alcohol as one 5-ounce glass of wine, or a 1.5-ounce shot of liquor. It is the amount of alcohol consumed that affects a person most, not the type of alcoholic drink.

Obviously each person has a different experience when consuming different types of alcohol, so you have to go on your own judgment when choosing from certain types of drinks. Your weight and number of drinks consumed within the hour are also significant factors to keep in mind when you go out. The number of drinks that affect someone who is 100 pounds largely differs from the number it takes to affect someone who is 140+ pounds.

Periodic Table of Alcohol:

Another helpful trick is to use the lines of a red solo cup to measure out your ounces so you know exactly how much you are having. 

Hopefully these drinking facts and tips were informative for you to recognize certain levels of alcohol consumption and how important it is to understand your limitations. Alcohol can be enjoyed by those 21 and over in moderation, but keep in mind that it impairs your senses and judgment and you must be smart when it comes to drinking. It’s fun to go out and make memories with your friends but you will have better memories going out the classy way than the sloppy way and having to deal with the aftermath the next day. Have a good first weekend back, remember you are NOT allowed to drink if you are under 21, and most importantly, stay safe!

GIF 1,  GIF 2

PHOTOS: 1, 2

Molly Briody

Saint Mary's

Molly is a junior at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, Indiana. Molly is majoring in psychology and minoring in social work. Ireland is her second home and loves anything to do with being on a lake, Chicago, listening to country music, and above all hanging out with her Belles! 
Therese Burke

Saint Mary's