Campus Cutie: Emily Lenahan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

A summer spent traveling across Europe sounds like a faraway dream to most girls. Luckily, Saint Mary’s offers amazing study abroad opportunities that turn these dreams into a reality. Sophomore smick Emily Lenahan just got back from the European summer study, a four week program that includes Paris, London, Edinburgh and Dublin. She told me a little bit about her amazing experience, but first, let’s get the basics!

Year: Sophomore 

Major: Communications

Minors: PR/Advertising & sociology 

Residence hall: Holy Cross 

Favorite DH food: Sunday brunch omelettes 

Fave place on campus: Lake Marian

Relationship status: “Crushing on an ND boy…stay tuned”

Prized possession: My Tory burch sandals!

Now, let’s talk about Europe! 

What was your favorite place you visited?

My favorite place was most definitely Dublin. My ancestors are from Ireland and it honestly just felt like home. The fantastic night life and traditional Irish food was by far my favorite when matched up between the other locations.

What classes did you take?

I took the theater class along with the advertising class. I really enjoyed both of them a learned a lot. With the theater course, I was able to go to the Moulin Rouge, The Globe, and several other incredible productions. I highly recommend both of them.

What was your favorite memory?

Picking just one memory is so difficult! After we visited the Eiffel Tower my friends Nicole, Liz, and I found a little cafe to eat lunch at. The food was incredible and eating outside with a gorgeous view of Paris felt like a dream.

What do you miss most about SMC?

I’m missing absolutely everything about SMC, but especially my sisters. To some it up:

-Chick-Fila dates with the girls

-Runs to the Grotto

-Blinky Bob

-Milkshake Mass

-Awesome Professors

-The Belle Tower

Did you learn anything about yourself when you were abroad?

I learned a lot about myself while I was abroad, and I would say all of my smick sisters did too. The three “baby smicks” (Nicole, Liz, and I) learned a lot from the older girls on the trip. I have always been fairly independent, but this trip really taught me a lot about myself and what it’s like to travel and experience new things away from my parents. I’m so grateful that Saint Mary’s offers such amazing experiences; we are incredibly blessed.

Any advice for smicks going abroad in the future?

The best advice I can give to my fellow Smicks:

-GUARD YOUR PURSE

-Enjoy every second of the trip, do as much as you possibly can

-When you see something you love just buy it, don’t think twice

-Make new friendships, and get to know the other people that are studying abroad with you.

-The wifi sucks almost everywhere so just be prepared

-Make a Pinterest board ahead of time, you can never be too prepared

Photos provided by Emily 

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitterInstagram and Pinterest!

Interested in writing for or being apart of HCSMC? E-mail hannahdrinkall@hercampus.com or thereseburke@hercampus.com for inquiries! 

Colleen Zewe

Saint Mary's '18

I love fall, holidays, PSLs and forcing my dog to take pictures with me for Snapchat.
Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!