Campus Celebrity: Professor Helen Ho

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Start by introducing yourself. Who are you? Where are you from?

“I was born in Michigan, raised in Hong Kong with extensive time in Hawaii, and am a Great Lakes-er at heart. While I’ve worn many hats over the years, my current incarnation is as an Assistant Professor for Communication Studies at Saint Mary’s College. It’s my third year teaching in the department, where I teach a variety of courses. I do mixed methods research focusing on how gender and race are represented in American mass media. Right now I live in Chicago with my husband (Mark), a grouchy cat (Neko), and a playful dog (Calliope).” 

Where did you get your undergrad degree? Masters?

“I’m a product of Big Ten education: I got my B.S. in Communication Studies, B.A. in English, and certificate in Creative Writing for the Media at Northwestern University; I earned my doctorate (Ph.D.) from the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.”

A few weeks ago in my PR class, with Colleen Fitzpatrick, we tried to guess your age. We were all convinced that you weren’t a day older than 27. Thoughts?

“I hope this wasn’t a topic of discussion during class…  All I’ll say is that your guess is extremely flattering. I’m no Doogie Howser and have taught for many moons – so I’ll leave you with the fact that I am firmly in my 30s and not looking back!  Other than that, a lady never tells her age.”

What is your favorite media channel? Why?

“I feel like a lot of folks know of my obsession with Law and Order and other procedurals, as well as TV in general.  But, after having purchased a new home a few years ago I am also really obsessed with anything HGTV – House Hunters, Love it or List It, Property Brothers, etc.  These shows give me a chance to see what other houses look like, but also to get DIY ideas and keep thinking about that dream home!”

What is your favorite student story?

“As a teacher I’ve heard pretty much all the excuses there are, and as a student I certainly tried many of them, too. I can’t think of any funny questions or conversations in particular because a lot of the time the random comments come from me.  But, I did have one student who didn’t show up for class because they thought break started a week earlier than it actually did!”

What’s your favorite part about Saint Mary’s?

“Having students from semester to semester and seeing their growth as students, scholars, and overall amazing women is by far the best part of being at Saint Mary’s. It’s so rewarding to be a part of students’ journeys through college – and getting emails and cards from folks who have graduated, saying they’re still thinking about classes or conversations we’ve had is definitely a bonus!”

Tell us a fun fact about yourself!

“If I could do anything in the world I would be a professional chef who had the time to hike, camp and rock climb in my spare time.”

“…two favorite family photos of me as a kid, in the spirit of Throwback Thursdays (even though it’s not Thursday). Clearly, I’ve always meant to be interested in media…”

It is very evident that Professor Ho not only loves her job, but also has a passion for the media and all of its elements. Learning about mass communications is twice as fun with Professor Ho’s enthusiastic teaching style. If you haven’t taken one of her classes, I highly recommend it!

Thank you, Professor Ho!

Pictures provided by author

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram!

Katie Calhoun

Saint Mary's

20 years old. From Fairview, Texas. Junior at Saint Mary's College. Class of 2016. Communications, Advertising, and Marketing studies. Katie Calhoun runs on Dunkin. 
Therese Burke

Saint Mary's