Everything You Need to Know About SHU’s Future Upper Quad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

It’s no secret that within just the last couple of years, the Sacred Heart University campus has undergone tremendous changes. Just a quick walk around and you’ll notice the several construction sites that may not look so aesthetically pleasing right now, but are nevertheless a reminder of the new and exciting places in store for us.

The Upper Quad is slowly transforming into the up-and-coming location on campus. A variety of projects have been in the works for a while now and new buildings are going to be popping up all over the property over the next few years. In case you haven’t been brought up to speed, here’s a quick rundown of what you can expect to see soon on the Upper Quad! 

JP’s Diner

Picture the squad hanging out, doing homework, sipping on delicious milkshakes and mouth-watering burgers…Yup, your Riverdale fantasies are looking to become a reality with the brand-new 50’s style JP’s Diner! Named after our beloved President Petillo (after being voted on by Student Government this past year), the newest dining space at SHU was officially inaugurated earlier last month, and is set to be up and running any day now. JP’s is already in the running to become the next hotspot on campus with its authentic “retro” feel and extensive menu of classic diner food ranging from hearty burgers, sandwiches and salads to decadent ice-cream shakes, pies and cheesecake. Here’s to midnight cravings reaching ultimate satisfaction in true throwback style! Fun fact: JP’s Diner is the first on-campus diner in all of New England…consider us lucky!

Pierre Toussaint Hall

With the increasing size of incoming freshman classes, Sacred Heart is showing no signs of slowing down the growth of its student body. The addition of the soon-to-be-opened Toussaint Hall for upperclassmen is the first of several new residence halls that are going to be built over the next couple years to make up the “Upper Quad Residential Village.” 

Toussaint Hall will implement unique apartment-style living spaces and accommodate 170 students. Rumor has it that there’s going to be a huge shark tank in the building?! I’m just going to let that piece of information either thrill or terrify you…

And of course, I have to give a special mention to the almost-finished amphitheater-style terraced steps located right next to Toussaint that will link the Upper and Lower Quads. I can’t possibly be the only one ready to brag about having something as cool as this on my college campus!

Bobby Valentine Recreation Center

Fellow fitness freaks rejoice! The Bobby Valentine Recreation Center (named after our Executive Director of Athletics) is going to take fitness and recreation to a whole new level with a modern workout space, rock climbing walls, bowling alleys and simulated game rooms, in addition to providing spectacular views of the entire SHU campus. And while we’re going to have to be patient before the facility opens in 2019, it’s never too early to get pumped for future bowling nights and rock climbing adventures!

While I definitely love the homey feel of a small college campus, it’s super exciting to witness Sacred Heart grow and evolve before my own eyes. Amidst drowning in my academic and extra-curricular responsibilities, it’s nice to know that there’s still place to relax and have fun at SHU (aka very soon at the Upper Quad!).

Carolyn Lisboa

Sacred Heart '20

Sacred Heart University Class of 2020 Marketing/Digital Communications/Information Technology International student from India 
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.