Millennials Getting Down to Business: How You Can Make the Most of Your Office Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

By: Justine Fajardo 

In a perfect world, there would be no discrimination in the workplace. Despite how far we have come, this is an unattainable goal in today’s society. Ageism is one such example of discrimination and it can play a significant role in how the group operates and interacts in their day-to-day responsibilities. This issue is especially prevalent as the Baby Boomers become acquainted with Millennials within the work setting. The main cause of this tension is birthed from a value difference that may not be translated well. This can lead to unpleasant circumstances in the workplace in which senior and more experienced individuals may be unwelcoming to these fresh faces. Ignorant statements, such as “They’re trying to steal our jobs” and “They probably only got this job because mom or dad pulled some strings,” are just some negative opinions commonly expressed by seasoned employees. Furthermore, these senior workers believe that young professionals are undeserving of these positions. How can they be blamed when society has linked our developing years with recklessness and laziness? But let’s be frank, as unfair as it is to generalize that all elderly people have the same attitude, it is equally unfair to generalize that all young people are the same. Here are some tips on how to deal with the issue of age dynamics within the workplace, to change the discourse of Millennials in the workplace and improve our overall reputation:

1. Be conscious of how you are perceived by others. This does not mean needless paranoia but such awareness is a protective measure in a new work environment. There is a chance that your presence in your workplace can be problematic to some. Be understanding that this job may be a great accomplishment for them and so it is only natural to be protective of your hard earned work. However, in doing so, be respectful and empathetic and don’t assume that everyone feels this way about you, it may hinder your experience altogether. 
  2. Don’t be rowdy. Young adults are notorious for their excessive energy and partying. Although there is nothing wrong with having reasonable fun, do not bring this behavior to work. As you soon as you enter that door, you leave this wild child behind. Remember, you want to look poised and put together, not immature and unprofessional. Leave out that frat party and the fling you had over the weekend. Keep your personal life personal.
  3. Dress to impress. Look presentable. This could be as simple as putting on a clean shirt and pants. You want to look like you care about your work attire, not like you just rolled out of bed. 
  4. Listen and learn—maybe they will be inspired to learn from you too.
  5. Be kind and respectful. This is pretty self-explanatory. It will absolutely get you far in life.  

As a disclaimer, I’d like to mention that it is not an inconvenience to work with people outside of your age group. Often times it can be quite pleasant. I can truly say this from experience. This is in no way to offend anyone.

On a final note, these tips are nonexclusive to this circumstance; they can also be applicable to most workplaces. Be yourself and know that you have a right to speak up if you are uncomfortable. Age is just a number. 

Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.
Lena Lahalih

Toronto MU

Lena is a fourth year English major at Ryerson University and this year's Editor-in-Chief.   You can follow her on Twitter: @_LENALAHALIH