Top 5 Pokemon GO Hot Spots on College Avenue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

College Avenue is not only the heart of Rutgers New Brunswick but also the campus with some of the best locations for catching Pokemon. So, what better way to get to know College Ave than by visiting these 5 Pokemon GO hot spots? 

1. College Ave

College Ave itself is littered with PokeStops. Why not catch some Pokemon and refill your bag while on your way to class? The College Ave Gym, the Second Reformed Church and the New Brunswick Theological Seminary are examples of some very convenient PokeStops you can pass by while strolling or sprinting down College Ave.

2. Student Activities Center 

The SAC is a great place to study and close to a few PokeStops (this includes Deiner Park, which is inbetween Hardenburgh Hall and Campbell Hall) and a Pokemon gym. Since it’s also located next to the Raritan River, this location attracts more water-type Pokemon, which is a breath of fresh air if you’re sick and tired of catching normal and bug-type Pokemon on campus.

3. Bishop House Area – Right next to the Brower Dining Hall

The Bishop House area has 6 PokeStops within reach. Those PokeStops include Mettler Hall, Demarest Hall, and the Bishop House. So, while you go grab a bite, might as well stop by and resupply on PokeBalls and Razz Berries.

4. Voorhees Mall

Across from The Yard and right by the Scott Hall bus stop, Voorhees Mall is a lively location with 9 PokeStops within the area. William the Silent, Murray Hall, and Van Dyck Hall are some examples of the PokeStops in that area. It’s is a great place to plop down under a tree and do some homework, as well as a great location to go Pokemon hunting.

5.  Queen’s Campus

Across from the Barnes and Nobles on Somerset Street, Queen’s Campus is a beautiful little spot that is within the immediate vicinity of 4 PokeStops and 3 Pokemon gyms. The Rutgers Clock, Queen’s College, and Kirkpatrick Chapel are all Pokemon gyms while the Rutgers Class of 1902 Gate, Winants Hall, and the Rutgers-Princeton Canon are PokeStops. While not as lively as the Voorhees Mall, Queen’s Campus is a great place to collect your thoughts and unwind after a long day of catching Pokemon and chasing after buses.

PokemonGO is a record breaking app that has rocked the entire world to its core since its debut in early July of 2016. Besides breaking records, the app has already accumulated 500 million downloads and has brought in $200 million in its first month alone, beating Candy Crush (http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/09/07/pokemon-go-downloads-pass-500-million) (http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/08/pokemon-go-earns-200-million-in-first-month-beating-candy-crush.html). Pokemon GO is an app that doesn’t require any prior knowledge to play, allowing both children and longtime Pokemon enthusiasts to enjoy the adventure that it brings. Despite all of this, Pokemon GO is still accused of being dangerous and is shrouded in controversy due to the myriad of crimes and incidents that have been linked to the app. However, Pokemon GO has brought so much more to the world than it is given credit for. It’s a a great game that doesn’t deserve to be buried in the negativity and the drama that it is being barraged by. Pokemon GO encourages exploration of your surroundings and new locales, bolsters the sense of community between different generations, and revitalizes an appreciation for art and historical landmarks. Rather than clinging onto the negatives of PokemonGO, let’s embrace the positives that the app has brought.

However, that doesn’t mean that you don’t need to be careful while playing the game. In order to have the most fun playing Pokemon GO, you should always be aware of your surrounding and try to travel in groups for longer sessions of gameplay.

Keoni Nguyen is a former undergrad student at Rutgers University and the former Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Rutgers (2018-2019).