Reflections of Living on Cook/Douglass Campus at Rutgers University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

1. The Cook Cafe

You’ll either love it or hate it. One positive of living on an isolated horse farm is the delicious Cook Cafe, which offers a variety of wraps, subs, burgers, and cheap chocolate chip pancakes. It’s so nice, living on C/D and not having to rely on the Neilson dining hall for my meals. The only downside, though, is the God-awful wait in the Cook Cafe. To anyone who works in the Cafe, how does it take 40 minutes to make a sandwich? Not to mention the fact everyone is crammed in one tiny room, waiting for their freakin’ food as well. For anyone who’s claustrophobic, good luck heading to the cafe during its prime time.

2. Harvest

The absolute BEST reason to live on C/D! I love going to Harvest, because for once I feel like I’m making healthier choices, when I’m not binge eating the undercooked pasta at Neilson. The smoothies are also amazing, too! I can combine (almost) whatever fruits and veggies I want, and pay with my meal swipe. The only problem is, just like the Cook Cafe, it always gets horribly crowded at times. Good luck trying to find a seat inside, too, because I’ve noticed people will tend to stay at their table for over an hour.

3. Passion Puddle

I constantly heard throughout my freshman orientation that Passion Puddle is the most “beautiful” and “romantic” spot at Rutgers. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it’s beautiful in the spring and summer. The problem is, the weather has been quite horrible for 2018, so C/D hasn’t exactly been the prettiest campus. Plus, I don’t think it’s a good place to relax, considering all the geese poo and “remnants” of drunk people’s pasts.

4. Bus Service

I live on C/D, but for nearly the entire day, I’m on Livi, thanks to my schedule. The REXL is the absolute bane of my existence. I absolutely hate the bus service in general to C/D, because the REXL always seems to come once in a blue moon, while the LX is always one after another. Not to mention the 20 minute breaks the bus drivers happen to take at Red Oak Lane. I also hate how the F bus stops running so early! The EE bus is just as bad, if not worse, as the REXL. The constant stops every 2 minutes makes me almost nauseous.

5. Total Isolation

There are pros and cons to living on an isolated horse farm. The isolation is a breath of fresh air from the craziness of College Ave, definitely. However, it tends to get quite boring, quite fast. I hate how if I want to go anywhere, I have to take the bus. C/D doesn’t offer much, unlike College Ave, or even Livi. It’s not as bad as the Busch campus, for sure, but sometimes, it makes me feel lonely. Not to mention, has anyone else noticed how horribly creepy it gets on C/D late at night? There isn’t a single soul outside.