This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

In today’s society, there is a lot of pressure on women to look a certain way. As women, we can see this pressure all around us. From the impossibly beautiful models that grace the covers of magazines and ads to Donald Trump saying that some of women accusing him of sexual misconduct “would not be [his] first choice” and that he was “not impressed’ by the beauty of those women. The pressure to beautiful is everywhere, even in the compliments women give each other. The comments I’ve often given and received have been purely about physical appearance. About another woman’s hair or her shoes or how her clothes make her look. Society had ingrained in us the desire to be seen as pretty or attractive, but that doesn’t even scratch the surface of what makes a woman unique.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with telling your female friends they look hot! Everyone likes to know that they look great, especially when it’s clear they put effort into their appearance. But there are so many things to appreciate about the amazing women in your life that are about more than their physical appearance. Here are some compliments to let your friends know how amazing they are!

You’re empowering

Everyone has a friend that encourages them to be the best they can be. Let them know how much that means to you! Their infallible strength and support can be all you need to get through hard times

Your ideas and beliefs matter to me

This is especially important for friends who doubt themselves. Sometimes it’s hard to believe in yourself and hearing this from a friend can make all the difference.

You inspire me

Whether they’re an overachiever or completely selfless or insanely creative or just amazing in their own way, let your friend know how much they have influenced you.

Your passion is contagious

It’s that look they get on their face when they start talking about their favorite subject that just makes you smile a little. They get so excited to share what they love that you just can’t help but be interested and happy to share that moment with them. Let them know how much you love their passion and enthusiasm. You never know when they’re doubting themselves.

I’m glad I met you

Let a friend know how much they mean to you and how much of an impact they’ve had on your life. You probably wouldn’t be where you are today without some of your best friends. Don’t be afraid to tell them!

You’re my favorite person to talk to

Sometimes it’s just nice to know that you’re appreciated.

Now get out there and let all the women in your life know how amazing they are!

A Senior at Rutgers University double majoring in Political Science and Economics who loves books, Broadway, and petting dogs.