Kathleen (Katie) Parrish

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Meet Katie! She’s a freshman in the School of Arts and Sciences and already on her way to doing big things. She’s involved in Students for Environmental Awareness, University Choir, and Rotaract. Keep reading to find out more about how she’s making the best of her first year at Rutgers! 

Name: Kathleen (Katie) Parrish

Hometown: Byram, New Jersey

Major/Minor: Microbiology/ Spanish

What makes you want to continue putting time into the activities (SEA, University Choir, Rotaract) you’re involved in?
The people in the groups I’m involved in are all really awesome, and they are also tied to things I’m passionate about. I’m a proud tree-hugger and I love helping people, so I love the volunteer work that I get to do with S.E.A and Rotaract. I also love music, so choir is a great time to have fun and relax after class.

What other things are you passionate about?
I love running and I’m training for the Rutgers half marathon. I’m also trying to learn how to play the ukulele. It’s really hard to be sad or stressed out when you’re playing a ukulele.

What is your favorite place on campus?
I love the courtyard behind Café 51 in Mortensen Hall. It’s really quiet and peaceful and has some picnic tables to study at and a water feature.

What was the most important lesson you’ve learned so far in your first year?
You really can do anything here, but that doesn’t mean you should try to do everything (no matter how fun it all looks). I’ve learned to make sure I enjoy what I am doing instead of feeling like I’m missing out on some event or club or trying to squeeze everything in and overextend myself.

Sophomore Linguistics major at Rutgers University. Probably currently eating oatmeal.
Born and raised in Northern New Jersey, Faith attends Rutgers University in New Brunswick, where she plans to major in Psychology and minor in Philosophy and Criminology.  Faith enjoys writing and traveling. She loves cats, books, and the color blue. In the future, Faith would like to attend law school.