It’s Time to Stop Judging Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Photo Source: Pexels

Quite often, I do believe females get flak for Halloween costume that are deemed skimpy and too revealing. 

Of course, there are many problems in society with costumes marketed to women are just sexy versions of the male counterpart, but that’s a different story. 

But I think it’s important to stop criticizing women for what they decide to wear on Halloween, whether it’s scary or sexy or both! Sometimes a girl just wants to be both just at different times. I want to be some scary zombie one day and an absolute doll another day. I DON’T want judgement either night for what I wear.

Why should I catch flak for choosing either? 

Both are incredible transformations in that they will take time and effort with makeup and some form of outfit coordination. 

Both will be outfits that I will be proud of creating and wearing.

Both will make me look great.

Some people feel like Halloween is the time they will get the least judgment for dressing up, so it is ironic and annoying when judged. It’s not neccesary!

I don’t want to hear anything about someone’s costume unless it’s a compliment.

Because I know that regardless of how much time and effort I put into it, I know I will look great, and so will every other person who carefully crafts their Halloween costume or throws it together last minute. 

In the end, everyone just wants to have fun and celebrate the thrills and chills of Halloween. There are enough problems of low temperature and lack of candy, why add more problems by judging others? (Unless someone is wearing a culturally appropriative costume, then please judge)

Have a safe and happy Halloween!

Part grandma who enjoys baking, knitting, cats, and scarves while also part child who still can't handle anything remotely scary and always needs a blanket.